Known Problems / Typical Issues and their Workarounds

This is a wiki post. You can help me to create and better describe these issues or remove issues which don’t exist any longer.
Please add screenshots where applicable. Attempt to keep the list alphabetically sorted except for the “All Games”-Entry. Thanks!

The purpose of this post is not to just link to GitHub issues / the bugtracker about technical problems of the emulator, but instead describe the resulting symptoms in games and how one can workaround such issues.

These issues describe the current results with the latest bleeding edge!

Click on the arrows to show information!

In General / All Games

<strong>Citra is slow / crashes / freezes / ..</strong>

Always make sure you have the latest graphics drivers (from your GPU maker (Nvidia, AMD, Intel and not the PC maker (Dell, Lenovo, Asus, …) or Microsoft) and the latest official version of Citra Bleeding Edge.
Also, always make sure you have the home-folder dumped and installed.

If this did not solve your problems, open a “New Topic” if no similar topic exists to ask for help.
Eventually the problem will be added to this topic if it happens often.

<strong>Black screen when loading game</strong>

Most games require the Home Folder/System Files to be dumped from your 3DS.

<strong>"Citra" as text input in some games / Cannot input text when prompted</strong>

Some games use the software keyboard which is not yet implemented. A workaround would be import the save file to a 3DS, input the text, save and import it back to Citra.

<strong>I'm missing a user-experience feature (Gamepad Support, Cheats, ...)</strong>

There is a “Tutorials” category on the forums which might help you. If it can’t be found there, open a “New Topic” if no similar topic exists to ask for help.

For experimental cheat support, use Bleeding Edge build 150 or lower.

Fire Emblem Awakening

<strong>Broken particle effects (fire) / smoke / ...</strong>

Use Bleeding Edge build 86 or wait for someone to implement Geometry Shaders again.

Mario Kart 7

<strong>Game stuck at the loading screen with only the tire in the bottom right spinning</strong>

You need to dump the Home Folder from your 3DS.

<strong>Broken particle effects / smoke / ...</strong>

Please use the latest Bleeding-Edge version. This is a known bug which won’t be fixed in the Nightly Builds anytime soon.

Pokémon Sun and Moon

<strong>Black pixelated outlines on models</strong>

There’s no workaround yet, you’ll need to wait someone to fix it.

<strong>Crashes after final battle</strong>

You can workaround it by using 3 nicknamed Pokémons, or you’ll need to wait someone to fix it.

<strong>Crashes at credits</strong>

Please use the latest Bleeding-Edge version. This is a known bug which won’t be fixed in the Nightly Builds anytime soon.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire

<strong>Black Screen when loading game</strong>

<strong>No move animations and broken particle effects / smoke / ...</strong>

Use Bleeding Edge build 86 or wait for someone to implement Geometry Shaders again.

Pokémon X and Y

<strong>Black Screen when loading game</strong>

<strong>Freezes after character selection, selecting your starter, at every level-up</strong>

<strong>No move animations and broken particle effects / smoke / ...</strong>

Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon

<strong>Crashes during the first cutscene (with Rayquaza) and others</strong>

The following is an example of a scene which crashes in Citra:

This does not only affect this scene, but a lot more. Click here for a forum topic which lists all known crash locations.

To avoid these crashes, turn off hardware renderer before crash (this makes the game very slow). A better workaround would be to import a save file from a 3DS. However, due to the amount of crash locations this could become tedious.

Super Mario 3D Land

<strong>Unable to continue past the start screen</strong>

I have confirmed that the female character PokeCenter freeze in ORAS has been fixed(been fixed for months now by one of subv scheduling PR’s).
issue here https://github.com/citra-emu/citra/issues/2028

it’s weird, sun and moon never crashed at the credit for me

Note this is a wiki post so any user here can edit it.

@Ravenhome I haven’t experienced any crash but I did get a black screen right after saving at the end of the credit. Resetting the game will continue as normal.

I don’t feel like testing this again cause this game has the longest pre-credit/credit scene I’ve ever seen.

oh yeah, that happened to me as well.

Please create a new topic. This is for listing known workarounds, not for finding new ones or providing support. Please do not reply to this post either. Ideally delete your last post.