Lag in Pokemon Sun/Moon and Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon

Issue:
Hello. When I play Pokemon Sun in the latest version of Citra Nightly for Windows, I experience pretty bad lag. I can only play at around 50% speed (14-17 FPS), which is kind of annoying as I cannot experience the game very well. I only get 100% speed in some buildings. I have changed (and reverted) pretty much every graphics setting in Citra Nightly and it is not improving anything at all. In all the other games I’ve played on Citra, I experience almost perfect 100% speed and get little to no lag, even though my CPU and GPU are not very good (if you look at statistics). If there is lag, it lasts for a very short time. Since my GPU (graphics driver) is internal and is an Intel one, I know that Pokemon S/M and US/UM freeze when you turn on Hardware Shading in the Graphics options in Citra. This doesn’t happen in other games. I am not that familiar with technical terms, so if you answer, please don’t use complicated phrases.

System Information

• Operating System: Windows 10
  • CPU: Intel Celeron N4100
  • GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 4000
  • Citra Version (found in title bar): Latest Nightly Version
  • Game: Pokemon Sun/Moon, Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon

In order for us to provide better support, we need to see the log generated by Citra. This guide will walk you through how you can obtain the log file: How to Upload the Log File.

There is no magic ‘go fast’ setting. Hardware shaders can improve speed, but some subpar GPU’s (and intel HD is one of them) don’t play well with that setting, causing the known crashes and lockups in S/M and US/UM. Furthermore, that is not a good cpu, pulling a single-thread score of only 1094, we recommend 1800 for good performance. There is likely nothing you can do.

I have tried turning on Hardware Shaders. When I do turn it on, the game does speed up and go to 100%, but like I said, it freezes soon after Professor Kukui tells Rockruff to play around later. This is because of a known bug with Pokemon S/M and Intel drivers. I know I probably won’t be able to get to 100% speed on S/M with the fairly bad processor on this computer, but maybe there might be a way to get it to at least 70%. I have seen the game go to 70% for a short time while walking outside in the game, so that shows a possibility.