Limit Framerate?

No option for limit Framerate or use of GPU:
Why don’t I have the option to use Limit Framerate or the ability to use my gpu?

System Information

• Operating System: windows 10 64 bit
  • CPU: Ryzen 5 1600x
  • GPU: AMD RX 580
  • Citra Version (found in title bar): Canary Build - fecdb7e/Nightly Build - 57aa18f (tried both)

In order for us to provide better support, we need to see the log generated by Citra. This guide will walk you through how you can obtain the log file: How to Upload the Log File.

Limit Speed Percent is what you are after, in the General tab in Citra configuration. Some games are 30fps so 60fps would be 200% speed.

Since you have a desktop computer with Ryzen 5 1600X it doesn’t have integrated Vega GPU like 2200G, 2400G or 3200G, 3400G so it is already using your RX 580. The problem is Citra is using OpenGL and Radeon performs poorly in OpenGL applications in Windows. If you want more performance you would need to dual boot Linux(e.g Ubuntu) or switch to Nvidia (wait for RTX 3000 series).

So. Since it’s already using my gpu, does the option in the configuration “overclock cpu” control my gpu?

Also do I have to use the 3000? That’s like the newest. Can’t I get a 1080?

Also don’t like Linux because of the way you have to install things. Not as easy as using an .exe file.

Is there any plans for better amd support? Isn’t there something called vulkan? Would that be better than opengl?

Because the 3000 series will blow everything out of the water :stuck_out_tongue: We will soon see Nvidia’s Ampere reveal, should be tomorrow May 14.
Edit* looks like no RTX 3000 series were mentioned, it seems that won’t be until October 2020.

Citra’s CPU clock is only changing the emulated CPU.

Vulkan would be a solution but who will implement it? It will take a very long time, especially if you do not have prior knowledge of the API.

To be honest I would do it but I barely know anything. I don’t have coding knowledge yet.

Can you explain what an emulated CPU is? I know what a cpu is, but why would you want an emulated one? And does it have any effect on performance

Also, most gpus are way better than what a 3ds has. So why do some games lag? Is it the way they’re decrypted?

I appreciate the help.

Citra is emulating a Nintendo 3DS which uses a ARMv6 CPU but PCs don’t understand those instructions and have to be “translated” to something they understand(x86). The slider just changes within Citra. Underclocking could improve performance in games like Luigi’s Mansion 2, set CPU slider to 25%.

Emulating Nintendo 3DS’s PICA200 GPU is difficult. Nvidia performs better than AMD on Citra due to optimized OpenGL drivers, when you swap to GTX or RTX card you will notice right away if you don’t want to install Linux :stuck_out_tongue: AMD is mostly focusing on DirectX 12 and Vulkan.

One last thing, are you the creator cause you’re very active here. Second where would I go to suggest features for the emulator? I really like the “large screen” option but the bottom screen is a little too small. I wish there was a slider between them that would control the portions of each screen.
Also would Linux on a flash drive work?

I’m just support. You can ask for features on the forum/Discord, I think we had a suggestion like that before but it’s just not a priority right now (they want to get the Android version out first). Well I only used live boot on a flash drive but settings won’t change so it must be actually installed on it.

Well, even if it’s your job, thank you for taking the time to deal with our questions.

What do you mean by settings won’t change? I was just gonna use a live boot where it wouldn’t reset everything each time (persistence live boot)

Ah yeah that exists, I just had a regular live boot so every time I restarted all changes were lost :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

So I did 200% for 60fps, but that also speeds up audio. Is there a way to fix that

Also you’re right Linux is WAY better. Link between world’s title screen ran at 20% but on Linux I can do 200% easily

Sound is tied to emulation speed, so nope.