Linux: Citra not opening - no program for opening installed

Issue:
Citra was installed using the downloaded file with no extension “citra-setup-linux”, checked as executable.
Citra does nothing when I try to open it in the start menu (not even blinking as shown in other threads). In Terminal it says the command is unknown. When I try to open it directly from the folder, it says there’s nothing installed capable of opening it. (German OS)
I couldn’t find any logfile telling me anything about it.

Compiling it on my own as shown in other threads only leads to errors I’m not capable of solving (I’m a gamer that only had small programs in VB.NET and C# - the whole C++ with Linux is totally new to me). I switched to Linux about half a year ago because Windoze 10 was just nerve breaking on my laptop.

System Information

• Operating System: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia, 64 bit, all updates made
  • CPU: Intel Celeron N2930, 1,83GHz, 4 cores
  • GPU: Intel built-in (lspci -nnk | grep -i VGA -A2 says something about Intel Atom Z36xxx/Z37xxx)
  • Citra Version (found in title bar): Couldn’t start it, so there’s no title bar.
  • Game: none
  • Screenshot of Issue (include the full Citra window including titlebar):
    There’s nothing to make a screenshot from.

Cmake error: CMake Error at common/CMakeLists.txt:107 (create_target_directory_groups):
Unknown CMake command “create_target_directory_groups”.

Diagnostic Log
Upload your log file as an attachment by dragging & dropping.
– As there’s no gui, I can’t provide a log file –

Additional Information
Your wiki at Github says:
Debian/Ubuntu: Owing to bug #808086 the build might fail. To have it build, add the following after line 1938 of /usr/include/c++/v1/string. (see discussion on StackOverflow for more details.)
This doesn’t apply with my computer, there is no path to this place and no file at this place.

I’m starting to hate this bot… -.-

try opening a terminal on the citra folder and open citra through it (e.g ./citra) whatever citra executable file name on linux is

I did that. I wrote it in the third sentence.

oh my bad, you didn’t get to install, i read it wrong.
anyway, wait for a mod to properly give you support.
in the meantime you could try the binary versions, either by clicking on manual download or on github, https://github.com/citra-emu/citra-canary/releases

I think you are a Windows user. In Linux you can’t just grab any binary. I don’t know exactly how it is working. But something like Portable Apps don’t exist with Linux.
With Citra, you have two options: Download the install file or compile it yourself.

Otherwise I would need a file with the extension .deb - that is an installation file (with a description for the dependencies). Or I would need one with the extension .appimage - that is close to a portable app. Both files don’t exist here (as they are often missing at open source projects).

binaries are possible anywhere, you just need the required libraries.

And that exactly is what the install file of Citra does. It downloads the Linux 7z file, makes the files executable and adds nice shortcuts to the menu. It just doesn’t check any dependencies (“required libraries”) - but of course I also had a look on what’s needed.
I also wrote I tried to compile it with sources in other threads. So my laptop is full of libraries and other dependencies.

And now my batteries are almost empty and it’s in the middle of the night.

So have a good night :slight_smile:

snap, flatpak, and appimage would love to talk with you

you can just use apt to install the missing dependencies and run the binary. you don’t need a deb to do that.

this is really not very specific. are you talking about the installer or did the installer work and you can’t run the installed citra. (hint it goes to /opt/citra by default)

why are you trying to build now? anyway, if you wanted to keep building, don’t download a zip from github of the source, you need to use the instructions on the wiki to clone from git. :stuck_out_tongue:

and yeah, we know our linux distribution currently sucks. but saying “just give me a deb” is more frustrating than you probably understand right now. putting things in distro specific packages is rough to get right. setting up your own ppa is also “yet another distribution method” that no one wants to do right now. maybe someone will get around to making an appimage or a flatpak (tingping actually made a flatpak script for us, but we can’t put it on the hub until citra has a full release so that kinda stalled)

yup. it doesn’t because theres 20 billion different ways to install dependencies on every last stupid distro out there and no matter what you’ll get it wrong. okay thats an exaggeration, but its been annoying to say the least. what dependencies are you missing (it should say lib___.so is missing when you try to run citra-qt) and i can tell you what you need to install to get them

1 Like