Lost everything

Issue:
This morning, I was playing a 3ds game on citra. Everything worked perfectly (except for one crash). This afternoon, i try to reopen the app, but the entire folder is empty save for the user folder. So i copied the user folder to the citra maintenance folder to reinstall the app without losing data. I have done it this way before and it worked, but this time, for some strange reason, not only the canary and nightly folders were deleted, but also the maintenance folder. Now, because of some stupid glitch or something, I have lost ALL of my save data from Fire Emblem Awakening and Layton vs. Wright. Is there any way to retrieve said lost data or do i actually have to replay all of those chapters/battles in both games?!

System Information

• Operating System: Windows 10
  • CPU: Intel i3-3120M
  • GPU: Intel HD graphics 4000
  • Citra Version (found in title bar): 1963
  • Game: not relevant
  • Screenshot of Issue (include the full Citra window including titlebar):
    impossible

Diagnostic Log
Upload your log file as an attachment by dragging & dropping.

In order to save a copy of the log, follow this guide:
https://community.citra-emu.org/t/how-to-upload-the-log-file/296

In order for us to provide better support, we need to see the log generated by Citra. This guide will walk you through how you can obtain the log file: How to Upload the Log File.

Unless this was done manually, Citra didn’t do this (more like it can’t). So this might indicate your storage drive is on it’s way out or that you might have some malicious software on your device. I’d get it checked if I were you just to be sure.

The Citra uninstaller deletes everything inside of the citra folder in %localappdata%. So that would include the the ‘‘maintenance’’ folder. Not sure how it didn’t do that the first time you mentioned doing that.

You might(?) be able to recover some data using something like Recuva (a data recovery program), but that goes a bit beyond Citra support. You’ll have to figure out if you can make that work yourself.

Well first of all, thanks for replying!

Secondly, i have the citra folder on my usb stick so i can freely use it on multiple pc’s. I scanned it with norton and i used chkdsk, but it doesn’t have any problems according to those.
Thirdly, i think the difference between those two reinstall was that during the first time i encountered this problem, i actually used “install or remove citra components”, something i failed to notice during my problem a few days ago. That might be why suddenly everything was deleted.
As for the data recovery, apparently the only unrecoverable folder was the user folder. Guess i’ll just have to replay both games.

Anyway, thanks for looking into my problem and keep up the good work! Aside from seldomly freezing (bc of my low-end pc), citra’s doing wonders and i love playing my 3ds games on pc!

1 Like