Low performance on macOS?

Hey!

I’m trying to run Pokémon Sun on Citra (7ef905e) on my 2014 retina 5K iMac (running macOS 10.12.6) and the game speed is mostly around 60%. My CPU is i5-4690 CPU @ 3.50GHz which according to the FAQ should be enough, and Activity Monitor shows Citra doesn’t even use one complete core. My GPU is AMD Radeon R9 M290X 2048 MB, but it doesn’t seem like it’s the bottleneck, as running at native resolution gives about the same FPS as running at 7x native resolution. Any idea what could be the bottleneck?

Thanks!

Citra is still in it’s early days of development.

Most games don’t run at full speed even on the best computers. Note that Citra also isn’t well optimized by itself.

Sure, it’s perfectly understandable, however_do_ want to better understand the cause of these slowdowns because it doesn’t seem to distinctly be the CPU or GPU. (I assume this game can run in full FPS on some machines?)

Currently, the required frequency for playing Pokemon Sun/Moon at full 30 FPS with some frame drops is 4.5 GHz+.

I see, that makes sense now (especially considering this game has quite a lot frame drops on my O3DS as well). :slight_smile:

Thanks!