Luigis Mansion Dark Moon Lag Fix

On luigis mansion dark moon it is very laggy, it is also my favorite game of all time, i know it is hard to emulate as is it is complicated but any frame rate gain i will take.:
Enter a description of your issue here, in full detail.

System Information

• Windows 10:
  • CPU: (think its ram) 8gb
  • GPU: ( Cant find but i think gpu means giga hertz?) 3.4 GHz.
  • Citra Version (found in title bar): citra nightly 1272
  • Game: luigis mansion dark moon

log thingy citra_log.txt (5.0 KB)

thanks if i get a fix or any info. bye!

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Nightly 1272 HEAD-186ffc2
OpenGL Vendor                                 null
OpenGL Renderer                               null
OpenGL Version                                null
Enable Hardware Renderer                      [x]
Enable Hardware Shader                        [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [ ]
Hardware Shader, Geometry Shaders             [x]
Enable Shader JIT                             [ ]
System Region                                 -1

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• Enabling Accurate Multiplication is recomended in certain games. If you are experiencing graphical glitches, try enabling this option.

There really isn’t anything further you can do to improve speed except wait for optimizations. Even people with very powerful PC’s usually can’t run this game at full speed yet, due to some of the obscure things it does.

1 Like

okay, thanks for telling me.

I can’t understand that how a device with less than 1Ghz CPU and 256MB of ram is so difficult to emulate and how my most wanted game can’t run at full speed as i want to :confused:

Daamn it can someone explain it to me :frowning:

Pretty late, but just because the hardware on the 3ds is rather weak compared to even a mobile phone nowadays, that doesn’t make the games easy to optimize for emulators. Specially if said game has many shadders running at the same time.

You see, those consoles had specific hardware, gpus, cpus and other components with their own unique features and instructions, which most PC gpus don’t have and likely never will. The reason emulation is so laggy is because the emulator (in this case citra) needs to translate the 3ds instructions into something your pc can understand 30 to 60 times a second, which, if it’s a lot to translate, and it’s yet to be optimized (that is, finding a way to cut corners to speed it up), will lag a lot. Citra has most of the 3ds library’s effects optimized, but some of them, like what luigi’s mansion 2 uses, will simply take some time to understand and optimize so they can run well. Hope that clears it up.

Yes my man it did
Consiles architecture is different than a traditional PC so it would run games more optimized and well balanced vs a PC

You’ve got the jist of it but there’s one thing to point out, you see, a 3ds has these specific hardware features that PCs don’t have, so since PCs require citra to translate everything for them, only the PC needs optimizations to let it run faster, while the 3ds understands everything and doesn’t need translation. Imagine them as languages, 3ds speaks 3ds, a PC and its hardware speaks PC, citra needs to explain how to understand 3ds to the PC. I think that’s a good analogy. Point being the 3ds does not need to optimize or translate anything.

PS: under the system settings tab, youll find an option to change cpu clock speed, I find setting it between 15-25% gives great framerates in Luigi’s mansion 2, my laptop was able to hit a nice full 60. That’s am example of an optimization, cutting some corners, and trading accurate emulation for speed.

I made an account just to talk about this, yes, lowering the cpu% on citra gives you better performance on some games, specially shader heavy games.
The one thing i want to add is that you must uncheck the “new 3ds mode” on the settings or it will crash the emulator, at least in my case

New 3DS mode isn’t a guaranteed crash but on games that use the new 3ds features citra will most likely slow down a lot- potentially crashing.

At least in my experience and on my hardware, you can’t lower the 3ds cpu under 100% with the “new 3ds mode” enabled, not a big deal because the only games i found that needed the cpu lowered are luigi’s mansion and zelda(for the sheika stone fps drop)