Migrated to a better Mac, running slower than I expected

Issue:
Hi there.

I used to play AS on my Macbook Pro 2011 and essentially just gave up after a point because things were too slow. Now, I have the latest 15" MacBook Pro and I would imagine that it’s powerful enough to handle Citra and 3DS games with ease. I’m not certain if I’m doing anything wrong in terms of my Graphics settings. Would help if somebody can suggest as to if things need to be done differently for a Mac to run games properly. I did migrate my folders from an older Mac, and I immediately thought maybe that’s what’s causing the issue. I did, however, re-install Citra and re-dumped my home folder, and things seem to be working slightly better, but the game itself is running consistently at 50-60% of it’s speed. :frowning:

System Specifications:

• Operating System: OS X Sierra 10.12.5
  • CPU: 2.9GHz quad core Intel i7-7820HQ with turbo boost to 3.9GHz
  • GPU: Radeon Pro 560 with 4GB VRAM
  • Citra Version (found in title bar): 5880771
  • Game: Pokemon Alpha Sapphire

Here are my graphics settings:

citra is not optimized and it will run slower in some areas regardless of cpu power, specifically in areas where there is a lot of objects to draw like in your case. try to go through this area and see if it might improve the speed.

also enable limit frame rate, this option does not impact performance but prevents the game from jumping to 1000fps in the menu and such.

When will it be optimized?

When someone chooses to work on this particular aspect

I can run BotW with cemu faster than anything on citra on my 2 year old mac.

Good, go play Zelda then :wink:

Thank you RavenHome :slight_smile:

I was just worried that my problem is limited to my Mac. I did notice this in previous cities as well, depending on how much needs to be drawn, it does work slower or faster. Of course on my 6 year old Mac, eeeeverything was slow so I probably couldn’t tell lol There is a huge difference between then and playing it on the new Mac. I was looking forward to running Citra and thought things would be full speed throughout, which is probably why I’m a little disappointed by the outcome. I can live with that though as I know Citra is most definitely a WIP and they’re already doing wonders, I’m looking forward to more optimised builds in the future.

Thanks for the advice on the Frame Limiter, yes the menu does jump to 700% speed Lol I thought Citra was going haywire, but I came across one of their older videos which mentioned that “Since Citra has not implemented frame limiting yet…”, then I realised that it’s been implemented since then. Anyway, Good day to ya’ll.

1 Like