Monster Hunter 4 Gradual Slowdown/Lag

Issue: MH4U Slowdown after playing for certain lengths of time
Enter a description of your issue here, in full detail.
I’ve played through the game on Citra before and had this issue but it wasn’t too bad, but I’ve started playing again recently, with a fresh install and after about an 45 minutes to an hour of playtime the game starts to chug in many areas, even towns. For that first hour though I have zero hiccups or slowdowns outside of initially loading the game. I’m stumped on how to fix this, I’ve tried lowering the resolution, capping the framerate, turning off vsync etc and nothing seems to work.

System Information

• Operating System: Windows 10
  • CPU: Intel i7-7700k
  • GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB
  • Citra Version (found in title bar): 1770
  • Game: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
    citra_log.txt (810.0 KB)

System Information for Support

Client Version                               Nightly 1770   HEAD-88a4759
Operating System                             Windows 10 (10.0)
CPU                                          Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz | AVX2 | FMA
Graphics API                                 OpenGL 3.3.0
Graphics Renderer                            NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070/PCIe/SSE2
GPU Driver Version                           512.95
CPU JIT                                      [x]
Hardware Renderer                            [x]
Hardware Shader                              [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication     [x]
Shader JIT                                   [x]
System Region                                -1
Shader Disk Cache                            [x]

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• You have cheats enabled. This might cause weird behaviour or crashes. Please disable them and retest if your game is experiencing bugs or crashes.

System Information for Support

Client Version                               Nightly 1770   HEAD-88a4759
Operating System                             Windows 10 (10.0)
CPU                                          Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz | AVX2 | FMA
Graphics API                                 OpenGL 3.3.0
Graphics Renderer                            NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070/PCIe/SSE2
GPU Driver Version                           512.95
CPU JIT                                      [x]
Hardware Renderer                            [x]
Hardware Shader                              [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication     [x]
Shader JIT                                   [x]
System Region                                -1
Shader Disk Cache                            [x]

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• You have cheats enabled. This might cause weird behaviour or crashes. Please disable them and retest if your game is experiencing bugs or crashes.

Could you open up task manager? Click on the “Performance” tab, then click on the Memory tab. Take note of the Memory usage whilst playing and see if it keeps increasing after your game is starting to encounter the slowdown/lag.

It hovers around 2-3 gigs, I’m using the HD texture pack, even when I didn’t have that installed this would happen if left on for the same amount of time. On that note however, I was running some fixes for MH4U from the MH4U Citra Discord server and saw they had a custom build, tried that out and it seems to have fixed my problem. Switching to that I get same ram and CPU usage but it doesn’t chug and I’m able to play for longer, had a 2 hour play session last night with no more hiccups, could’ve been a fluke though. Didn’t think about this till after the fact, but unlike this custom build I switched to, the official Nightly build I’d have to force close in task manager despite stopping emulation and closing the window, it would leave itself on in the background. Don’t know if that’s relevant.