Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate 30% (20fps) speed on Gaming Laptop

Issue:
I have an Asus tuf gaming laptop with an amd cpu and graphics card. I have tried the yuzu switch emulator and I can get playable speeds on it. I would expect to be able to play on citra, which seems to be less complex then the switch emulator, with speeds similar or better than the switch. Even if this weren’t the case. I feel that my laptop should be able to handle this game playing at playable speeds. When I walk on the opening scenes, it is like I am floating in the air with each step because of how slow it is. I have looked over the internet for ways to solve this slow speed. My driver is up to date. I have radeon adrenaline 2020 software installed. My power settings are set to ultimate performance. Citra is set to high performance in graphics settings. I have tried lowering the resolution to the minimum (in game). I have tried changing some setting in adrenaline, openGLTriple buffering, amd freesync. My computer has been restarted. Though Looking at task manager, it seems that cpu thread 5 is running at 100%. What do you recommend? Is it possible to play this game?

System Information

• Operating System: Windows 10
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3550H with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx 2.10 Ghz
  • GPU: Dedicated: RX 560X, Nondedicated: AMD Radeon™ Vega 8 Graphics
  • Citra Version (found in title bar): Canary 1865
  • Game: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
  • Screenshot of Issue (include the full Citra window including titlebar):

Diagnostic Log
Upload your log file as an attachment by dragging & dropping.

In order to save a copy of the log, follow this guide:
https://community.citra-emu.org/t/how-to-upload-the-log-file/296citra_log.txt (9.2 KB)

I did not find anything wrong in your log file. Please wait for a moderator to assist.

Make sure you are using the codes to boost performance: https://github.com/citra-emu/citra-games-wiki/wiki/Monster-Hunter-4-Ultimate you need game update v1.1 installed to use them. More details here:

Since Citra is using OpenGL, the performance might be about half as Nvidia on Windows. Linux has more optimized drivers for OpenGL on Radeon cards if you do not mind dual boot.

Alright, I’ll try that

The cheat codes helped speed it up a bunch. Thanks! If I were to speed it up more with the second solution you gave, would I have to change operating system to linux? Or could I still use windows.

Yeah you would need Linux to be able to use those drivers. A virtual machine won’t work afaik, at least not without some kind of GPU passthrough (use your actual GPU inside the VM).