Monster Hunter Generation - Entering Door crash/screen freeze

Issue:
Every time I enter my house in Bherna Town, the screen would fade to black, the FPS will drop to 0, and when it recovers it’s FPS back to normal as you see in the screen cap, it stays black. It has sound, though choppy and the audio stretching is too obvious. This happens everytime I try to enable the hardware shader.

I tried downloading Canary version 706 to see if this issue is also present on older version (I also enabled the hardware shader on that version) and there I see that it is not; not even the frame drops. In fact, when I’m playing offline, I’m using Canary 706.

I see that one fix is to disable the hardware shader, but this process made my FPS drop from 30 to 15. I can enter the house, but everything is in slowmotion.
I tried to use the latest version of Citra to see if the problem is fixed already, but it’s still there and I see that no one is reporting this issue yet, though I see some in Discord chats experiencing the same thing. Hope this would help you.

(EDITED)
The first screenshot was when I just started the game, everything is running fast and smooth.
The second one was when I entered my house.

System Information

Diagnostic Log
citra_log.txt (33.1 KB)

I did not find anything wrong in your log file. Please wait for a moderator to assist.

To be clear, is the game crashing, or is it just start running really slowly?

At first it’s a black screen, it has a sound, but it is very, very slow. I waited for it to recover, but it didn’t; the FPS is showing it’s getting up to 10fps from 0, but the screen stays black. When I tried to do anything, specifically closing Citra, everything freezes, and windows would prompt that the program hasn’t been responding.
Sorry if I misused the word crashing, good sir, I’m not a technical person. I hope this answer would help.

Can you try with these two builds?

It could be the cause of: https://github.com/citra-emu/citra/pull/4042

Just in case you should also update your drivers, I can see you are using 4889 while the latest is 4963: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/81496/Intel-HD-Graphics-4600

About that, my graphic drivers are up to date.

The graphic driver you told me to install was not compatible with my system. Intel HD Graphics 4600 was not actually available on that update, though it was listed.

Regarding the nightly builds, the first problem that I saw there was it’s not compatible with online play (both the build you recommended); the same thing with what happen with older canary version. I’m currently playing offline using older version of Citra Canary, #706 to be specific. I needed the new version just to play online.

I see, well I just wanted you to test if Nightly 860 didn’t have the issue but 861 does then we would know what caused it. So let us know if “entering door crash/screen freeze” is present on Nightly 860 or not and if it started with 861.

It wasn’t a replacement :stuck_out_tongue:

I run a quick test, and you’re right. 860 runs smoothly, but not the 861. it crashed the moment I entered the door.

before I enter the door (861)

after(861)

Here’s the log file:
citra_log.txt (43.2 KB)

I did not find anything wrong in your log file. Please wait for a moderator to assist.

Here’s my run on 860

Before:

After:

here’s the log file of 860:
citra_log.txt (29.7 KB)

Hope this would help you guys. Keep up the good work.

Thanks. I can probably bring this to attention since you are running the latest drivers supported by your system and still run into this regression.

After some talk on Discord, this issue won’t be ‘easy’ to fix.

If Intel would be added then there will be other regressions instead.

1 Like

That’s sad. Hope they will find ways in the future. Thanks by the way.