Monster Hunter Generations makes my graphics card crash!

Every time I try to load my newly created save, I can’t get past the initial loading screen of Monster Hunter Generations without my graphics card crashing and thus rendering Citra unusable until restart. Enabling linear filtering prevents it sometimes, but makes the game run at agonizingly low FPS (anywhere from 5 to 8). Disabling it mid-emulation makes it run smoothly, but my graphics card will crash soon after I do this. I remember someone recommending to turn on Accurate Multiplication, but that just seems to make my graphics card crash whether linear filtering is enabled or not.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you in advance.

System Information

• Operating System: Windows 7 (64-bit)
  • CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60GHz
  • GPU: Intel® HD Graphics 4400
  • Citra Version (found in title bar): Nightly Build 35690e3

I don’t know if the diagnostic log recorded it, but I know uploading it typically helps: citra_log.txt (55.3 KB)

1 Like

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Nightly 1372 HEAD-35690e3
OpenGL Vendor                                 Intel
OpenGL Renderer                               Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400
OpenGL Version                                3.3.0
GPU Driver Version                            10.18.14.5057
Enable Hardware Renderer                      [x]
Enable Hardware Shader                        [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [x]
Hardware Shader, Geometry Shaders             null
Enable Shader JIT                             [ ]
System Region                                 -1

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

So upon Citrabot’s recommendation, I updated my GPU. But unfortunately it changed nothing. Here’s an updated log, just in case. citra_log.txt (55.1 KB)

Edit: Despite updating my drives, Citrabot still says my GPU drivers are out of date??

GPU Driver Version                            10.18.14.5067
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [ ]

• You are running out of date drivers for your GPU. You need to install the most recent driver for your graphics card from Intel’s website. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/80939/Graphics-Drivers
  • Enabling Accurate Multiplication is recomended in certain games. If you are experiencing graphical glitches, try enabling this option.

Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [ ]

• You are running out of date drivers for your GPU. You need to install the most recent driver for your graphics card from Intel’s website. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/80939/Graphics-Drivers
  • Enabling Accurate Multiplication is recomended in certain games. If you are experiencing graphical glitches, try enabling this option.

Hm, I remember HD 4400 had some issues and relied on the AMD hack for some games. Can you try these very old nightly versions and see if one of them works? Then test the other and see if it doesn’t work then we will know.

https://github.com/citra-emu/citra-nightly/releases/tag/nightly-860
https://github.com/citra-emu/citra-nightly/releases/tag/nightly-861

861 encountered the same problems I have with the current version, but not as soon as I load into the game. 860 seems to run it fine (albeit with a few lagspikes here and there!). Multiplayer seems to work fine, too.

Thank you so much! Hopefully this will be helpful data for the developers.

Heyo. I’m the one that helped Mihari test version 860 on multiplayer. If it matters, I hosted the room and the Hunter’s Hub instance, she started the quest. Here’s what I was able to observe:

• 861 was, as mentioned, nonfunctional for her. 860 worked with no major issues, aside from expected desync/disconnect if our play speeds and packet traffic got too far apart.
  • While playing 860, neither of us could verify our multiplayer token; multiplayer was handled through direct connection to an unlisted room.
  • Both of us had to be using 860 - I could not play with her on the current version. She could not see my room when I tried. I’ve kept 860 as a parallel install alongside the current nightly and canary builds for testing purposes, until this issue is totally resolved.
  • EDIT: Attempted cross-version connection between me on Citra Canary 1492 and Mihari on 860. Sadly, though we used a direct connection via an unlisted room, the client detected a version mismatch and wouldn’t let us proceed.
  • 860 was abysmally slow for me, and it’s not multiplayer related. It occurred even in single player. Disabling framerate limiting helped. Current canary/nightly builds run nice and fast.

If possible, it’d be nice if whatever hack or setting that allows 860 to work for her be made an option in the current nightly, that way she can turn it on, I can leave it off, and both of us can properly play together on the current version.

If you need any further information or testing, don’t hesitate to ask - I’d be happy to help.

EDIT: Additional test done - results included above.

Update: I decided to install the canary build, and the latest version actually lets me get past the title screen! But now the problem is that my graphics card crashes if I so much as share the same map area as a large monster. I tried this by starting a hunt for an Arzuros, but as soon as I got to area 6 (where it was), my graphics card crashed again.

I have a log, in case it records anything that would be of use to the devs. But Citrabot keeps claiming my drivers aren’t up-to-date when they are. citra_log.txt (72.3 KB)

Client Version                                Canary 1492 HEAD-33f2c8b
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [x]
Enable Shader JIT                             [x]
Enable Vsync                                  null