Need clarification on installing mods

Issue:
Just need some extra info/clarification on mods on citra. I’ve checked the FAQ but it’s still not clear to me.
So, in the mods folder i’ve created the romfs and exefs folders. I have 3 .bin.lz files that are supposed to be mods. Do I just put them into romfs and it all should work? Or am I missing something?

System Information

• Operating System: Windows 10 64 bit
  • CPU: intel i7-2700K 3.50 GHz
  • GPU: nvidia gtx 590
  • Citra Version (found in title bar): [nightly-1686]

In order for us to provide better support, we need to see the log generated by Citra. This guide will walk you through how you can obtain the log file: How to Upload the Log File.

You need to mirror the file structure of the game, meaning if you right click on the game in Citra and dump romfs you can check how all files & folders are supposed to look like.

You can access the dumped romfs by File -> Open Citra Folder then open dump folder. If you are able to find these three files in there, then in your mods\romfs folder, place them in the correct location. Like if you saw testfile1.bin.lz in dump\romfs\[title ID]\textures\wall then you need to put the modified file at \load\mods\[title ID]\romfs\textures\wall

You should have gotten instructions how to install the mod by the author, if it’s layeredFS. If it is a different kind of mod it might not work on Citra.

Ah got it, I tried to do this but it didn’t seem to work. I’ll go through the steps I did.

1. I dumped the romfs
  2. I copied/pasted everything in it into the romfs folder i created in the Mod folder
  3. Patched the file that needed to be changed for the mod

Is this the wrong way to go about installing a mod? Or is there something else wrong?

You’re not supposed to paste the romfs dump into the mods folder. Tywald only said that you can use the dumped romfs as a reference to how you should structure your mod’s files (if the mod author didn’t give you instructions).
Only place your mod’s files in the mods folder. You can use the dumped romfs as a guide to see what the file structure should look like.

What is the game you are trying to install a mod for? And what is the mod called?

My mods folder is empty