Needing to revert a save file (not save state)

Issue:
I’m a YouTuber who is using Citra to record a playthrough of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Gates to Infinity Randomizer. I recently recorded an episode and saved at the end of it, but then realized that I was using the wrong recording settings and as a result did not actually record any game footage through the whole thing. I would like to revert my save file if possible in order to re-record the part I missed. I am about 16 hours into the game, and due to the nature of Mystery Dungeon and it being a randomizer, I really do not think it would be possible to start the game over completely. So A) is it possible to revert my save to back before I messed up recording this episode? And B) IF NOT, does anyone have any recommendations on how I can at least redo the cutscenes of the game?

System Information

• Citra Version (found in title bar): Nightly 1779
  • Game: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity (modded)

In order for us to provide better support, we need to see the log generated by citra. This guide will walk you through how you can obtain the log file: How to Upload the Log File

A) This is not possible using normal in-game save files. Once the data has been saved, it overwrites the data that was there before. Which essentially deletes it.
This can still be done through the use of save states (Emulation>Save State/Load State), had you saved a state at the beginning of your session. If that isn’t the case though, you’re out of luck (also keep in mind that save states can become unstable over time, so they’re not recommended as the primary way of recording your progress).
I would recommend backing up your save data periodically in the future if you intend on preventing issues like this.

B) You can start another playthrough and basically blast your way through the game by increasing the Emulation Speed in Emulation>Configuration>General. Which would still be tedious, but it is a way.
Alternatively, you can try asking for a save file that is close to the cutscene in some pokemon centric communities like Project Pokemon or the like.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

That’s certainly unfortunate, but it makes sense. I ultimately wound up using a save state I made not at the beginning of this session, but a few episodes ago, and combined that with the emulation speed up function. It was a huge mistake on my part that I’ll be sure not to make again haha!

Part of me wonders if it’s possible or in the plans to implement some sort of automatic backup function to Citra in the future. Perhaps every time the game saves it could store a copy of a previous save file somewhere, and players could choose how many backups they want stored per game at a time. While Gates to Infinity isn’t one, I imagine such a tool would be incredibly useful for games that autosave when players don’t want it to.

That might be difficult. Not every game saves in the same locations, nor do they all use the same save data formats. So for Citra to recognize that the action in-game that results in the editing of a file “somewhere” in Citra’s user folders, is “saving the game”, and to then realize that this/these file(s) need(s) to be duplicated to another folder, when this action and the resulting file(s) is/are different per game, is pretty unrealistic.

Auto save functionality would be more practical through save states perhaps, set on a timer or something. But then you’d have to be careful when recording since saving a state causes a hiccup in the emulation. And saving a state during a cutscene might break things…

It’s not really ideal no matter how you look at it.