New Canary 443 begins works with AMD GPU!

I did not believe it when I tested this build 443 recently launched and is working wonderfully well, in my humble Rig _FX6300 + R9270X, Pokemon Ultra Moon is at 50fps - 70fps without speed limit In GPU MODE
but i recommend limit speed by default 100% for smooth gameplay at 30fps, please friends comment your experiences you are an AMD GPU User … I’m soo happy :slight_smile:

PS:maybe it will not work with all the games, but it’s a big breakthrough for AMD GPU :):rofl:

Still no support for Intel yet. But seeing this means I am hopeful for the future

3 Likes

Most Intel GPUs are already supported afaik.

1 Like

nope no support for me i have an intel hd 2000

1 Like

Metroid SR: 24-28 FPS with occasional dips to 20 and it’s a mild faster. Almost playable. No crashes yet
SM3DL: somewhere it’s literary double the performance (23 against 46) but not everywhere. Can cause a crash, especially at start.
Pokemon Ultra Moon: more than 200% increased performance! 16-19 on CPU and 36 - 45 when GPU do the job! No crashes yet.
Fire Emblem: Awakening. Always crash.
DQ VIII. Crashes after a few seconds of 3D rendering. Performance increase amount about that of a Metroid SR
Ocarina of Time. It actually runs worse. Performance LOSS is about 15-20% at first glance. Plus graphical artifacts.
A Link Between Worlds. Crash
Majora’s Mask. Same as Ocarina.
HD 5870
i5 750 3.5 Ghz

1 Like

Your GPU won’t be supported ever in Citra. It’s too old.

1 Like

I just tried the new Canary version and it still crashes for me… Using the old CPU mode works, but obviously i get a low framerate… This is my log, if someone knows the issue…

https://pastebin.com/Z0ueYFRQ

2 Likes

it works! still my AMD R3 A-series laptop is on the bottom of minimum requirements, it can runs Pokemon Ultra Sun around 18-25 fps on Native resolution. Well still wanna play in hd, but better keep playing this game in my 3DS.

1 Like

works fine with an r7 360

1 Like

i’m playing it with like 45 ~ 60 frame per second with the limit speed percent off and 100% with the limit speed percent on, but the game freezes (while it still playable, just i cant see anything because the image is frozen).
i’m using a i5-7200u and intel hd graphics 620;
At least i can save when it frozes, i already memorized the “the save button” from the menu, so i just open the menu and click in the save button, however is sad when it happens in the scenes or battling a totem, so i cant see what is happening and i have to close the game losing my not saved progress.
Well, i can still play it in HD tho, so i’m fine this bug.

1 Like

No support for a Bay-Trail’s Intel HD Graphics, unfortunately. I mentioned this in another thread, but the RA Citra Canary Core does work. The thing is that RA uses more RAM than the Standalone versions (1.2 GB VS 700-800 MBs) so it crashes pretty soon if you don’t have a decent amount of RAM (nowadays, that’s not a big deal for Desktop users, but notebook users who can’t upgrade their amount of RAM are pretty much screwed).
It also has a lot of Input Lag and the Circle D-Pad Mod doesn’t work.

It’d be nice if the developers tried to fix the issue with the standalone version at some point.

1 Like

victorlimatag
I’m kinda curious what build are you using cause i tried the latest canary build (build 443) using my hd 610 with the gpu renderer and no success and rolled back to build 416 which i think is the last time gpu renderer worked.

1 Like

i have tested much more and my happiness is gone :frowning: , the game crash
when I went to get an item the game

EDIT : I updated AMD driver to latest, and the problem is Gone i happy Againn!! :smiley:

Anyone with a 380X 2 or 4GB still experiencing black screen crashes?

1 Like

I imagine the RetroArch version is using the CPU rendering based option. The same would apply in Citra.

1 Like

In a meantime the latest nightly builds showing good speed up in most games. I guess they started implementing stuff.

1 Like

Update: I tested more this Build 443, some crashes happens, GPU MODE in some games playing 10 minutes to 40 minutes apparently is random.
is an early support for AMD
I expect the most serious problems like crashes/Freezes will be fixed.

“I recommend when you play not open any program, Browser Downloader Video Player Music
open programs the chances of crash are greater”

“Example: I was testing ultra moon pokemon and decided to open Google Chrome and watch a video on Youtube, almost immediately Citra Freeze/Crash”

I just updated my video drivers, and the crash is gone… I can now use GPU mode with an AMD HD7950 ^^

UPDATE: after rebooting my pc citra is crashign again… It was working fine some hours ago… Updating to last canary version (05-04-2018) didn’t change the result… Strange

2 Likes

Running Canary 445 on a late 2014 5k iMac (i5 4690, m290x 2GB, macOS 10.12.6), still getting almost unplayable framerate in Mario 3D Land, somewhere between 50-80% without enabling accurate shaders. :frowning: When enabling this last feature fps drops to even 30%.

Furthermore even CPU render is slowed down, so unfortunately no luck for me with these updates.

Source: https://gbatemp.net/threads/citra-unofficial-chinese-builds-discussion.431974/page-414#post-7876932

EDIT: Nevermind this post. After re-reading it, I understood what jselby meant.
I’ve set Hardware Shaders to Full in the RA Core and it’s actually just as bugged as in the standalone version.