No image in Pokémon Y (using an Ubuntu save on a Mac)

Issue:
So, I had a laptop on Ubuntu where I played Pokémon Y thanks to Citra. Apart from the “no music” problem because I hadn’t built from source or something, it was all fine. I had this laptop backed up regularly. Now, unfortunately, I can’t use it anymore — but the Pokémon Y save file is still there in my backup.

After getting Citra on my Mac, I first opened Pokémon Y (with no problem) up to a point where I could save, to be sure the necessary file trees were created by Citra. I then went to get my backed up save file, but noticed something weird: it and the new blank save didn’t have the same icon or file type. And after replacing the blank save with my backup, when I tried to open the game with Citra, there was no image-- but I could hear all the sounds: the opening screen, selecting my file, music that was not from the beginning of the game and the “bump” of me hitting something as I tried to move around.

I didn’t try doing anything else as to not mistakenly mess up the save. I think I tried renaming a copy of it from “main” to “main.txt”, since I had gotten rid of the blank save and unfortunately didn’t remember its file type exactly, but trying this renamed save didn’t show me anything at all (not even sound). And since starting the game with no “main” file in the save folder had the same result, I don’t know how to start a new game again to see if that would still work.

The save file from Ubuntu has no extension and iMac calls it an “Unix Executable”, so I assume that’s where the problem comes from… Would there be a way to change this save file’s type to something readable for Mac Citra?

In the log I have attached, I first started Pokémon Y with “main.txt” then stopped the emulation to replace it with the Ubuntu “main” and started the game again. The results were still as described above. I found the “main.txt” again in my Trash folder and thought at first it was the blank save, but since it’s exactly the same size as “main” it’s probably actually the one I renamed.

Sorry if this explanation is all over the place, I made a bit of a mess trying to fix this :'3

System Information

• Operating System: macOS Mojave 10.14.6
  • CPU: 2,6 GHz Intel Core i7
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 Mo
  • Citra Version: Citra Nightly 1721 (it asked to be updated today and I did it, so it was probably at the previous version when I made the blank save and first tried my backup save)
  • Game: Pokémon Y
  • Screenshot of Issue:

Diagnostic Log
citra_log.txt (67.8 KB)

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Nightly 1721 HEAD-89410c1
Operating System                              macOS Mojave (10.14)
CPU                                                 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3720QM CPU @ 2.60GHz | AVX
Graphics API                                  OpenGL 4.1
Graphics Renderer                             Intel HD Graphics 4000 OpenGL Engine
CPU JIT                                       [x]
Hardware Renderer                             [x]
Hardware Shader                               [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [x]
Shader JIT                                    [x]
System Region                                 -1
Shader Disk Cache                             [x]

I did not find anything wrong in your log file. Please wait for a moderator to assist.

This is quite the story. Can you upload your backed up main file here so that I can test it out on my end? If the problem is the save file itself, we would find out that way. If you can’t upload it directly, upload it to something like google drive and post the public link to it here.

Yeah seems like I’ve had a talent for making original topics so far lmao

Ah, I wanted to share it but aparently its extension isn’t allowed. Lemme go use Google Drive real quick then.
Here you go (hopefully this works).

Can confirm, works as intended:

Now that we know that the save file isn’t the issue, we’ll need to see what went wrong on your iMac.

First of all, start up Citra, right click on your game in Citra’s game list (you may need to add a game directory for your game first for it to show up here), then select Open Save Data Location. This should open up into your save file folder containing your main file. Now go “up” several folder in the folder path until you arrive inside of the 00040000 folder. Delete the 00055e00 folder you see here.

Now launch your pokemon y game and immediately close it again using Emulation>Stop. Launching your game is enough to create the save file folders (and a main file containing no data). Open the save data location again and replace the main file here with your back-up main file.
Now run your game again and see if you run into the same issues again.

Alright, I did right as you said.
Strangely in the few seconds it was open the Pokémon Y game didn’t show sound or image, but I stopped it quickly as you suggested. I noticed the blank save file didn’t have an extension either, but this time the computer called it a “TextEdit Document.app”.

Funnily enough, as I downloaded the save file from Google Drive like you did (so it’d be the exact same), I noticed the type of that one had changed to a TextEdit Document as well!
Unfortunately opening either this one or the “Unix Executable” version of it had the same sound-only, no-image result as before. Here’s the log file though, just in case that’s useful.

citra_log.txt (82.9 KB)

CPU                                                 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3720QM CPU @ 2.60GHz | AVX
Graphics Renderer                             Intel HD Graphics 4000 OpenGL Engine

I did not find anything wrong in your log file. Please wait for a moderator to assist.

This may be due to an old MacOS bug. At least, I hope it is. Try resizing your Citra window after loading your game (so when can hear the sounds but have no image).

alright, I’ll try that-- and if it still doesn’t work I’ll go get my computer updated to see if that helps :pensive:

LMAO I can’t believe this!! It worked!! shgjsfghqsdgvhjh
thank you so much for your help with this haha

(also here’s the log file where it worked, in case it helps)
citra_log.txt (45.6 KB)

MacOS be wack yo xD
Glad this worked :slight_smile:

1 Like