Ocarina of Time not running at a fixed speed on a decent system

The game wouldn’t run at full speed (varies between 90%-100%, which creates unpleasant audio because of the ramping up and down), CPU is barely utilized (1 thread utilized at a max of around 45%). Everything is up to date, including drivers and linux55 kernel, I used the latest flatpak of citra, I’ve tried the arch AUR version and it made no difference.
System Information

Diagnostic Log
citra_log.txt (135.8 KB)

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Canary 1570 HEAD-3d374d79d
OpenGL Vendor                                 NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL Renderer                               GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL Version                                3.3.0
GPU Driver Version                            440.64
Enable Hardware Renderer                      [x]
Enable Hardware Shader                        [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [x]
Hardware Shader, Geometry Shaders             null
Enable Shader JIT                             [x]
Enable Vsync                                  null
System Region                                 -1

I did not find anything wrong in your log file. Please wait for a moderator to assist.

Odd, threshold to maintain 100% speed is 16.67ms frametime and you are well below that. Last time I had something like this was if I ran my iGPU on my i7-3770K and increased the resolution until it couldn’t handle it anymore | or from what I have seen on gaming laptops with Nvidia GPU where Battery Boost is enabled it would cap speed to 50%/100% but with low frametime.

Yeah I don’t know what is going on :frowning:

sometimes it’ll hit 100% (for like an instant) and the resolution doesn’t matter at all, the GPU is more than capable even at 10X, the setting I have in that screenshot was 5X, and yes, I use HLE. I’m on a desktop and my CPU doesn’t have intergrated graphics, it happens to be somewhat high end too, I think something within the emulator itself caps the utilization to 1 thread and not fully utilizing that thread. I’ve also tried super mario 3d land and the performance is even worse (60%-80%). Also, my card performs better on OpenGL most of the time, I think Citra can use both OpenGL and Vulkan? There’s no option for changing the API?

I JUST FOUND A VERY COOL BUT WEIRD OBSERVATION.
So when I run the game with apps running in the background (Firefox and Discord call) the game runs at a faster speed (mostly 100% with some dips to 98% at worst) and it got worse as I close those applications. So I’m guessing this is a problem of how the OS manage the CPU? I think these apps trick the CPU into running faster and thus faster speed in the game.

Citra only has OpenGL at the moment. Citra is a single core application. Did you also test native 240p resolution?

yes, I did. The resolution doesn’t matter at all, in fact native without said applications running makes it runs worse than 10x with the applications I mentioned. Idk if this is a problem with the OS or the emulator because it doesn’t happen on other emulators, and I haven’t tested citra on windows yet