Ocassional freezes in pokemon Ultra Sun when hardware shaders are enabled

My issue is that whenever I enable hardware shaders in the configuration (this I do in order to have 100% speed, otherwise it’s around 75%), I am prone to a permanent freeze of the screen at random times during my playthroughs. This kind of permanent freeze was also present during my Pokémon Omega Ruby playthroughs, but they were much less common. I used to get around these freezes by saving the state, closing and reopening citra and reloading that state. However, now that I’m experiencing these freezes more frequently, I was wondering if there’s a more optimal fix.

System Information

• Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
  • CPU: Intel Core i5 1035G1 @ 1.00GHz Ice Lake 10nm Technology
  • GPU: Intel UHD Graphics (Lenovo)
  • Citra Version Nightly 1708:
  • Game: Pokémon Ultra Sun
  • Screenshot of Issue (I don’t think a screenshot of a frozen screen is of much use especially when it happens randomly, so I didn’t upload):

Log:
citra_log.txt (71.8 KB)

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Nightly 1708 HEAD-e7671d9
Operating System                              Windows 10 (10.0)
CPU                                           Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1035G1 CPU @ 1.00GHz | AVX512 | FMA
Graphics API                                  OpenGL 3.3.0
Graphics Renderer                             Intel(R) UHD Graphics
GPU Driver Version                            27.20.100.8729
CPU JIT                                       [x]
Hardware Renderer                             [x]
Hardware Shader                               [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [x]
Shader JIT                                    [x]
System Region                                 -1
Shader Disk Cache                             [ ]

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• The CPU Clock percentage is not 100%. You may experience unexpected game speed.

This is true, but the issue appears to happen regardless of whether the CPU is overclocked or underclocked.

Most likely related to this:

You also need to update the drivers and install the runtime package, see the link above for both.

You should still let the CPU clock be at 100% as changing it can make emulation unstable.

I have downloaded and installed both the runtime package and the drivers, however the issue still persists, unfortunately. (I’ve also set the CPU clock back to 100&).

(I am unsure if I’ve been able to properly reply to your post specifically, as it doesn’t show as such for me. I’m still a newbie to this forum.)

Edit: this time i was. Please see the previous post for my actual reply

Upload a new log file please.

citra_log.txt (862.9 KB)

Client Version                                Canary 1970 HEAD-7ee5bf9
CPU                                           Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1035G1 CPU @ 1.00GHz | AVX512 | FMA
GPU Driver Version                            27.20.100.9466

I did not find anything wrong in your log file. Please wait for a moderator to assist.

Make sure to test this issue without using any save states as those can be rather unstable across different Citra versions. If it still crashes when not using any save states, please upload another log file.

citra_log.txt (195.0 KB)
I saved my progress from within the game this time and entered the game from that save. There should be nothing related to save states now

GPU Driver Version                            27.20.100.9466

I did not find anything wrong in your log file. Please wait for a moderator to assist.

Did you run the included .bat file which installs all of the runtime files?

I don’t have an Ice Lake laptop to test myself with. When it freezes and you close & restart Citra, are you seeing black pixel artifacts?

If Citra crashes to desktop, try build Citra from source by following: Building for Windows - Citra and run it through Visual Studio so it can catch where it crashes.

Yes, i ran the install_all.bat file.

No, when it freezes and when i close and restart Citra, i do not see black pixel artifacts. I only get a black screen if i restart the game after it froze without closing citra.

Also, I followed the instructions you linked, built Citra in Visual Studio, ran it in said program but i got no glaring errors when the screen froze. All i found to be odd was:

[1830.734280] Service.LDR core\hle\service\ldr_ro\ldr_ro.cpp:Service::LDR::RO::UnloadCRO:369: Unloading CRO “FieldEffectCommon”
[1831.295690] Service.LDR core\hle\service\ldr_ro\cro_helper.cpp:Service::LDR::CROHelper::ApplyStaticAnonymousSymbolToCRS:555: CRO “FieldEffectCommon” exports 0 static anonymous symbols
[1831.296722] Service.LDR core\hle\service\ldr_ro\cro_helper.cpp:Service::LDR::CROHelper::ApplyModuleImport::<lambda_f96383ed7d6ca36033d60c33aa254cbe>::operator ():869: CRO “FieldEffectCommon” imports 0 indexed symbols from “FieldRo”
[1831.296725] Service.LDR core\hle\service\ldr_ro\cro_helper.cpp:Service::LDR::CROHelper::ApplyModuleImport::<lambda_f96383ed7d6ca36033d60c33aa254cbe>::operator ():886: CRO “FieldEffectCommon” imports 10 anonymous symbols from “FieldRo”
[1831.296825] Service.LDR core\hle\service\ldr_ro\cro_helper.cpp:Service::LDR::CROHelper::ApplyModuleExport:986: CRO “FieldEffectCommon” exports 0 indexed symbols to “FieldRo”
[1831.296826] Service.LDR core\hle\service\ldr_ro\cro_helper.cpp:Service::LDR::CROHelper::ApplyModuleExport:1003: CRO “FieldEffectCommon” exports 44 anonymous symbols to “FieldRo”
[1831.296922] Service.LDR core\hle\service\ldr_ro\ldr_ro.cpp:Service::LDR::RO::LoadCRO:331: CRO “FieldEffectCommon” loaded at 0x00814000, fixed_end=0x0081E000
[1831.433727] Service.FRD core\hle\service\frd\frd.cpp:Service::FRD::Module::Interface::GetMyFriendKey:88: (STUBBED) called

Now this doesn’t mean there was no error at all, there were plenty in fact. This error in particular was being spammed over and over again, long before the freeze even happened:

[2281.563492] Service core\hle\service\service.cpp:Service::ServiceFrameworkBase::ReportUnimplementedFunction:161: unknown / unimplemented function ‘SetProbeResponseParam’: port=‘nwm::UDS’ cmd_buf={[0]=0x210080, [1]=0x321f00, [2]=0x40000}

I copied the entire output into a txt file:
Output.txt (823.2 KB)

Thanks, unfortunately I couldn’t see anything that caught my eye. Ice Lake seems to have weird issues for now :frowning:

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Alright, thanks for the help anyway. I’ll continue to try to temporarily get around the freezes by the method i mentioned in the original post; not optimal but has to do for now.

GPU Driver Version                            27.20.100.8729

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• The CPU Clock percentage is not 100%. You may experience unexpected game speed.