Odd Behavior when Launching from Steam Shortcut

Issue:
I have my 3DS games set to launch via Steam and the citra-qt.exe. This was working well but after adding texture packs to a few games the games now immediately crash on startup through Steam. The packs work perfectly fine when the game is launched through the citra-qt interface.

Disabling prefetch textures allows the game to load the texture packs when launching from Steam but this makes the games a stuttery mess. Any ideas on how to get prefetch working with steam?

System Information

• Operating System: Windows 10
  • CPU: Intel(R) Core™ i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.20 GHz
  • GPU: 1060 6gb
  • Ram: 32gb
  • Citra Version: Nightly 1718
  • Game: Any game using Prefetch textures
  • Screenshot of Issue: Nothing to screenshot

Diagnostic Log
citra_log.txt (5.2 KB)

I did not find anything wrong in your log file. Please wait for a moderator to assist.

The log file is incomplete. Make sure you follow the steps carefully:

1. Open Citra, then go to File>Open Citra Folder (Citra>Open Citra Folder if on MacOS) and open up the log folder. Now keep that open in the background.
  2. Launch your game and encounter the problem; crash/slowdown/glitch and close Citra if it doesn’t do so by itself. Do not restart Citra as that will wipe the log of important information!
  3. Now upload the log file in this chat.

I did not find anything wrong in your log file. Please wait for a moderator to assist.

Here is the correct log file
citra_log.txt (7.8 KB)

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Nightly 1718 HEAD-dd31ed6
Operating System                              Windows 10 (10.0)
CPU                                           Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz | AVX2 | FMA
Graphics API                                  OpenGL 3.3.0
Graphics Renderer                             NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060/PCIe/SSE2
GPU Driver Version                            471.11
CPU JIT                                       [x]
Hardware Renderer                             [x]
Hardware Shader                               [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [x]
Shader JIT                                    [x]
System Region                                 -1
Shader Disk Cache                             [x]

Sorry about the wrong log file the first time.

Can custom textures/prefetch be enabled using the Citra.exe instead for testing purposes? I don’t see anything in the sdl2-config.ini file but I could be blind.

[   1.070323] Service.FS <Warning> core/file_sys/ncch_container.cpp:LoadOverrides:472: Loaded NCCH D:/Roms/3DS/Majoras Mask/zelda_majora.3ds is tainted, application behavior may not be as expected!

^ This appears to be of a more immediate concern. You’ll need to redump your game. Please refer to our game dumping guides:

Dumping Game Cartridges
Dumping Installed Titles

Make sure your GM9 is up to date and that you have enough free storage space available on your SD-Card to perform the dump.

Also, using Preload Custom Textures is only viable when talking about smaller texture packs. For anything bigger, it’ll start demanding incredibly high amounts of RAM usage until you crash.

I will look into re-dumping the Majora game but this behavior happens with any game running any texture pack when launched through Steam. They run perfectly when loaded through the Citra interface.

Not to mention I am using the smaller version of the Zelda texture pack and I monitored my ram usage during the preload. It only uses about 7.5 out of my 32 gigabytes of ram.

I do appreciate you taking a look though. Think I might leave it at that - there are probably better things I could be doing with my time!