Persona Q2 - Random Softlocks

Issue:
Game will randomly softlock. This happens regardless of the “mode” the game is in; dialogue scenes will simply not display the next bit of dialogue, in combat the next character’s action will not fire. The game essentially halts.

There does not seem to be a trigger. It happens randomly, at random intervals.

System Information

• Operating System: OpenSuSE Tumbleweed
  • CPU: Intel i5-7300
  • GPU: NVIDIA GTX1060M, Intel HD630 (tested using both, nvidia using prime render offload and not optimus)
  • Citra Version (found in title bar): nightly-1687 (from repo)
  • Game: Persona Q2
  • Screenshot of Issue (include the full Citra window including titlebar): No screenshot because there is no visible effect of the bug; status bar has 100/100% and 30 fps. The game simply does not progress.

Diagnostic Log
citra_log (copy).txt (101.8 KB)

System Information for Support

Operating System                              openSUSE Tumbleweed
CPU                                           Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7300HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz
Graphics API                                  OpenGL ?
Graphics Renderer                             Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics 630 (KBL GT2)
CPU JIT                                       [x]
Hardware Renderer                             [x]
Hardware Shader                               [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [x]
Shader JIT                                    [x]
System Region                                 -1
Shader Disk Cache                             [x]

I did not find anything wrong in your log file. Please wait for a moderator to assist.

Two questions:

1. You say you’re experiencing a softlock, though you are describing a hardlock. Is the game frozen? Or does the game still run, without actually progressing after a user input?
  2. Are you using Save States or in-game save files before the softlock occurs? If you’re using Save States, please try reproducing the same softlock with normal in-game save files instead.

The second topic you made about this has a log file that contains a bit more useful information regarding the potential cause of your issue: It is full of unmapped read spam. Which basically means 1 of couple of things:

1. A bad Update/DLC dump.
  2. A bad ROM Hack application.
  3. Mismatched or wrong cheat codes.
  4. A bad ROM dump.

Since I don’t see an update installed or a cheat code activated, I assume it’s either a bad DLC dump (if applicable) or a bad ROM dump. The latter of which seems the most likely of the two.
You’ll have to redump your game. Please refer to our Game Dumping Guides:

Dumping Game Cartridges
Dumping Installed Titles
Make sure your GM9 is updated to the latest version available and that you have at least 4gb of storage space available on your SD-Card.

Thanks for the tip, I’ll try re-dumping it.

For the record, the lock happened when I used saves, as well; I actually started using save states religiously because the game has very long sequences between opportunities to save. The game is still running when this occurs; the music is playing properly, the animations are all running properly, the only issue is that the next “thing” that is supposed to happen just … doesn’t.

So shortly after all of this I ran into some issues with another application, which I traced back to some memory-related errors related to linux’s (extremely junky) hibernate/suspend system. After a clean boot, I had two significant sessions without either of the two issues in my posts. I suspect that this is a linux issue and not a citra issue, so this can be closed.