Pokemon alpha saphire lag spikes

Game can run OK but as soon as I enter a new zone, cinematic or combat I have huge lag spikes (down to 0 FPS).

System Information

• Operating System: Mac OS
  • CPU: 2,4 GHz Intel Core i5
  • GPU: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 1536 Mo
  • Citra Version (found in title bar): Citra Nightly 1748
  • Game: Pokemon ALPHA SAPHIRE

citra_log.txt (3.7 MB)

System Information for Support

Client Version                               Nightly 1748   HEAD-4e15823
Operating System                             macOS 11.6
CPU                                          Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8279U CPU @ 2.40GHz | AVX2 | FMA
Graphics API                                 OpenGL 4.1
Graphics Renderer                            Intel(R) Iris(TM) Plus Graphics 655
GPU Driver Version                           ?
CPU JIT                                      [x]
Hardware Renderer                            [x]
Hardware Shader                              [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication     [x]
Shader JIT                                   [x]
System Region                                -1
Shader Disk Cache                            [x]

I did not find anything wrong in your log file. Please wait for a human moderator to assist.

I’m afraid that this is mostly unavoidable on hardware like yours. Pokemon games make use of something called CROs on almost every transition. This basically means that Citra is having to load/unload the 3DS’ equivelent of a .dll file every time this happens, as well as clear the cache. This causes a stutter. You can mitigate this to some degree on sufficiently powerful hardware, but that isn’t possible on your end. You can try seeing if increasing the emulated CPU Clock Speed (Citra>Preferences>System) to around 150% would help decrease the stutter a little bit, but keep in mind that underclocking or overclocking is inherently unstable and can cause freezes. If it starts freezing a lot, set it close and closer to 100% until you have a stable overclock.

Thanks for your reply @SleepingSnake

I’ve read on another thread that with Alhpa Sapphire Citra Nightly 1422 could smooth the lag… so I downloaded it and now I barely have any lag spikes and when they occur, I’m only down 80ish speed an 20ish FPS dor a few seconds :blush: (unfortunately tho, version 1422 doesn’t allow you to overclock the CPU)