Pokemon Alpha Sapphire Crashing Randomly

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CNWpbOvYLEvA7vOOkK_ZttECGTXZoqmC/view?usp=sharing

That’s a private link. Please upload the public link to the file.

Im getting a message saying that i cannot post a link to that host when trying to reply with the new link. the problem was though that i had link sharing off so maybe theres a chance its still the same link

That’s a long log file. It’s full of errors which make me think off driver issues, but I’m honestly not that sure. I’m unable to pinpoint where the crash happens so I’ll ask the other support members if they have a clue. Just for reference though, what exactly were you trying to automate? No idea if it’s related but it would be nice to know just in case.

The script is just encountering the starter and if it doesn’t detect a shiny it soft resets. It’s coded in python using the pyautogui library.

1 Like

There might be a memory leak happening within the process of soft resetting the game constantly. Run Citra and your game, then take a note of the RAM usage. Run your script for a while and check back every once in a while to see if the RAM usage increases the longer you run your script.

I haven’t been able to access my PC for a little so I am going to try doing what you said now. I will let you know how it turns out.

So I tested it for the past day, the memory usage seems to be stable the whole time the script is running.

Did you encounter the same crashing issue still?

yes i am still encountering the same issue

Then I’m out of ideas, sorry. Do you have an approximation of how much time it takes for the game to crash using your script?

Yeah about 16 hours give or take.

its not a huge deal its just an inconvenience because when it does happen, i’m usually not home to reopen citra again

This might also have something other than Citra then. Sometimes Windows 10 is weird about the boosting behavior of apps that it thinks are draining battery for example. This could potentially cause an issue in Citra, though I’m grasping at straws here. if you could test this on other systems as well, that would at least rule out a system issue for example.
I’ll let you know if I think of anything else, but yea, I’m almost completely out of ideas.

I actually just had it crash after not long at all, maybe an hour or so. Lot smaller of a log file but still pretty big in general so let me know if its small enough to the point where u can find whats causing the crash. For some reason it still wont let me upload the log file here so heres the link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Zgvx8oyeSsdqRo_xn4j8w9w0d5JwEA60/view?usp=sharing

I also just added a feature to the script that will shadowplay the last 5 minutes if citra crashes so I can at least see what happens when it crashes. So now I just have to wait and see.

Ok I just found something that may actually help you, citra seems to only crash right after my script soft resets. I’ll let you know if that information changes.

I also just found this post which seems to be describing the same issue that I am dealing with.

I just looked around on our Github issues page to see if something similar to this had ever been reported before: Citra crashes after a certain amount of resets · Issue #4607 · citra-emu/citra · GitHub
Turns out it has. Seems like the devs that looked into this aren’t sure what’s causing this either.

hm alright. Well I have implemented a workaround in my script anyways that just reopens citra and continues on with the shiny hunting. Hopefully someone does figure out what is causing the crashes though as it seems other people are having a hard time shiny hunting with the bug. Thanks for the help, enjoy your day :slight_smile:

1 Like