Pokemon Alpha Sapphire multiple games

Issue:
Enter a description of your issue here, in full detail.
I recently played an Alpha Sapphire randomizer and got through the elite four. I wanted to change the way I randomized the game, so I copied the original ROM file (I didn’t use the original with Citra) and put it through the randomizer again. When I loaded it from the same folder as my other completed game, Citra loaded my save data from the completed game, not a new game. I also tried to put the newly randomized ROM into a different folder, but that didn’t work either. How do I get a fresh game with my new ROM without wiping the saved data from the old one?

System Information

• Operating System:
  • CPU:
  • GPU:
  • Citra Version (found in title bar): 1708
  • Game: Pokemon Alpha Sapphire
  • Screenshot of Issue (include the full Citra window including titlebar):

Diagnostic Log
Upload your log file as an attachment by dragging & dropping.

In order to save a copy of the log, follow this guide:
https://community.citra-emu.org/t/how-to-upload-the-log-file/296

In order for us to provide better support, we need to see the log generated by Citra. This guide will walk you through how you can obtain the log file: How to Upload the Log File.

Citra sees it as the same game (regardless of the modification), and because we use the 3DS’ file system, only one save file is created for that game.

So in order to get around that without manually having to move the save file folder every time you wish to play a different save file, you’ll need to set up a portable Citra build:

Go to Download Citra - Citra and select Manual download. Then under Nightly Build, click on your operating system’s icon to the right of the latest build available to download the build.
Extract it (7zip can be extracted using Winrar or 7zip) (.tar.gz can be extracted natively on MacOS) and put it where ever you wish. Inside the extracted mingw folder, create a folder called user. This Citra should now store all of its config, save files and such inside of this user folder)
Check to make sure that this user folder is in the same folder that contains citra-qt(.exe)
Now run the citra-qt executable found inside of the mingw folder.

As this is now a standalone Citra build, it should have no connection to your normal Citra’s save file folders. Thus, if you run your newly randomized game in this Citra version, it should start you over from scratch.

This worked thanks! Will I have to redownload Citra every time I want to play a new Alpha Sapphire game?

You could also manually move the save files around:
Right click on your game in Citra’s game list (you may need to add your game to a game directory for it to show up first) and then select Open Save Data Location. Then main file found here is your save file. Move that to somewhere safe. Now go back to the save file folder and move up one folder in the path. Then delete both the 0000001 folder and the metadata file found here. If you start your game again now, it should start over.

I suggested the portable Citra build over the method above as that has no risk of losing your save file if the steps are followed incorrectly, whilst this method does.

Thanks for the help!

1 Like