Pokemon Alpha Sapphire Save File Lost

After the citra update, i loaded pokemon alpha saphhire but saw that my save file was replaced by an older save. Please help me out!

System Information

• Operating System:
  • CPU:
  • GPU:
  • Citra Version (found in title bar):
  • Game:
  • Screenshot of Issue (include the full Citra window including titlebar):

Diagnostic Log
Upload your log file as an attachment by dragging & dropping.

In order to save a copy of the log, follow this guide:
https://community.citra-emu.org/t/how-to-upload-the-log-file/296

In order for us to provide better support, we need to see the log generated by Citra. This guide will walk you through how you can obtain the log file: How to Upload the Log File.

citra_log.txt (151.9 KB)

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Nightly 1621 HEAD-df9e230
Operating System                              Windows 10 (10.0)
CPU                                           Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz
Graphics API                                  OpenGL 3.3.0
Graphics Renderer                             Intel(R) HD Graphics 620
GPU Driver Version                            27.20.100.8587
CPU JIT                                       [x]
Hardware Renderer                             [x]
Hardware Shader                               [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [x]
Shader JIT                                    [x]
System Region                                 -1
Shader Disk Cache                             [ ]

I did not find anything wrong in your log file. Please wait for a moderator to assist.

It seems you’ve been using save states over multiple versions. They usually break over citra updates so it’s recommended to rely on in-game saves to save your game progress. And to use save states only in your current gaming session or to use them after you’ve disabled auto-updates.

If you wish to recover the progress on your broken save state, you’ll need to find the version of citra you saved them on, load it in that version, Save your progress in-game, then use the newer citra version again.

I was using ingame saves. When i said my save file was lost and replaced by an older one, i meant my ingame save file. Yes, i used save states on a couple of occasions but i mainly relied on ingame saves only. Also, i’d like to mention that i made another copy of citra so that i could trade with myself. Dont know if that caused any trouble.

ya that can be the reason… the portable citra for trading with yourself must have it’s own user folder to keep the files or it can overwrite the original citra files…

but i kept portable citra in seperate folder…

no not only the citra but you also have to keep all it’s files separate by creating a user folder in that folder… where there is citra-qt.exe

Using portable versions like you did will indeed require you to create a “user” folder in the same folder that the citra-qt.exe can be found (this will have citra create all the folders and files citra would normally make in Appdata in that “user” folder as well) or you must make sure that you don’t save your game on the portable version. Otherwise, saving on one version will overwrite the other. Meaning that if you were to keep both citra’s open and continue playing on one of them after trading, saving on that citra after you’ve made progress, and then saving the other citra that you didn’t make progress with, it would only keep the save of the last one that was saved. Which in that case would be the one you didn’t make any progress with.

I get your point, but this is not possible in my case since i used two different games in the two copies of citra. Like i opened pokemon alpha sapphire on the main citra and omega ruby on the portable copy of citra and traded between them.

Then unless you fumbled with the save file yourself (i.e. through save file editors like Pkhex or something) or plain forgot to save, I don’t know what happened. Citra only ever keeps ONE save for each game. So if you ever save your game, the last save you had gets overwritten. It’s gone. It’s impossible for it to get overwritten and then somehow reverse.
Edit: Unless you’re playing a game with multiple save slots, though that’s a different thing altogether.

By the way you mentioned on your first text that to recover broken save states i need to find the version of citra i saved them on and load it on that version. I’d like to try this method, in case it works. Can you please explain how I should do this?

WOW! I just tried loading pokemon alpha sapphire on citra canary, and guess what, my old save is back! Any idea why this happened.

When i load the game on citra canary, my original saved progress is loaded. But on citra nightly i get an older save… Why is this?

Start citra canary, then right click on your game and select “open save data location”. Leave the resulting folder on the background.
Now start citra nightly, then one again right click on your game and select “open save data location”. Now check to see if you’ve opened the same folder or a different one.

Yes, both folders are the same.

that is mysterious then…

I’m sorry. I just checked more closely now. The folders are different. The save file location for citra nightly is now inside a folder in my citra portable folder…