Pokemon Omega Ruby - freezes after a few minutes of game time

Issue:
Hello. I’m playing Omega Ruby, and my game freezes after a few minutes of game time. The audio still works, but Citra stops responding.

System Information

• Operating System: Windows 10
  • CPU: IntelCore I7-6700
  • GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 960M
  • Citra Version (found in title bar): Nightly 1737

Diagnostic Log
citra_log.txt (233.3 KB)

EDITS:

I tried the most recent canary, and the problem persists, though it’s much more uncommon.

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Nightly 1737 HEAD-28039d3
Operating System                              Windows 10 (10.0)
CPU                                           Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz | AVX2 | FMA
Graphics API                                  OpenGL 3.3.0
Graphics Renderer                             NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M/PCIe/SSE2
GPU Driver Version                            472.12
CPU JIT                                       [x]
Hardware Renderer                             [x]
Hardware Shader                               [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [x]
Shader JIT                                    [x]
System Region                                 -1
Shader Disk Cache                             [x]

I did not find anything wrong in your log file. Please wait for a moderator to assist.

CPU                                           Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz | AVX2 | FMA

I did not find anything wrong in your log file. Please wait for a moderator to assist.

I’m not seeing anything in particular stand out. Could you try playing your game on a portable Citra build? Just to rule out any issues with your current Citra installation:

Go to https://citra-emu.org/download/ and select Manual download. Then under Nightly Build, click on your operating system’s icon to the right of the latest build available to download the build.
Extract it (.7z can be extracted using Winrar or 7zip) and put it where ever you wish. Inside the extracted mingw folder, create a folder called user. This Citra should now store all of its config, save files and such inside of this user folder.
Check to make sure that this user folder is in the same folder that contains citra-qt(.exe)
Now run the citra-qt executable found inside of the mingw folder and run your game. If it freezes again, please upload a log file using this portable Citra build.

Apologies for the late reponse. I’ve finally had time to try this and the issue persists.

Here’s the log:
citra_log.txt (329 KB)

Please try updating your GPU drivers to the latest available: NVIDIA DRIVERS GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL

Hello! I am very happy to report that I found the cause of the freezes!

The cable I connect my controller with is very unreliable and finnicky. It often disconnects and then reconnects immediately after if I move or rotate the controller too quickly. I’ve had this hunch for a while, so I tested it a few times. Every time, the freeze happened during one of those quick disconnections!

Disconnecting the controller doesn’t seem to cause the freezes, it’s just that sort of on/off “flicker” if that makes sense. My cable’s been really finnicky for a while, but I’ve never had this issue with any other software before. I tried a different cable and if I move it around enough, I can semi-reliably cause the freeze to happen.

So yeah, it’s not a huge issue because all I need to do is be a bit more careful. Hope this helps someone if they have a similar issue!

Its rare, but I have heard about others having similar issues before. But yea, it happens so rarely that it honestly didn’t come to mind at all. Glad you figured it out though.