Pokemon Sun Crashes Minutes in the Game

Issue:
The game boots up and is playable for a couple of minutes. Then I get the spinning wheel of death on my mac and the emulator crashes.

System Information

• Operating System: macOS Catalina
  • CPU: 2.6 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5
  • GPU: Intel Iris 1536 mb
  • Citra Version (found in title bar): Canary 1706
    citra_log.txt (58.9 KB)
  • Game: Pokemon Sun
  • Screenshot of Issue (include the full Citra window including titlebar): Can’t Screenshot bc emulator closes.

Diagnostic Log
Upload your log file as an attachment by dragging & dropping.

In order to save a copy of the log, follow this guide:
https://community.citra-emu.org/t/how-to-upload-the-log-file/296

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Canary 1706 HEAD-bfb6db5
Operating System                              macOS 10.15
CPU                                           Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4278U CPU @ 2.60GHz
OpenGL Vendor                                 Intel Inc.
OpenGL Renderer                               Intel Iris OpenGL Engine
OpenGL Version                                null
Enable CPU JIT                                [x]
Enable Hardware Renderer                      [x]
Enable Hardware Shader                        [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [ ]
Hardware Shader, Geometry Shaders             null
Enable Shader JIT                             [ ]
Enable Vsync                                  null
System Region                                 [x]
Shader Disk Cache                             [ ]

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• Enabling Accurate Multiplication is recomended in certain games. If you are experiencing graphical glitches, try enabling this option.

Test these two versions and see if one of them works:
https://github.com/citra-emu/citra-nightly/releases/tag/nightly-1393
https://github.com/citra-emu/citra-nightly/releases/tag/nightly-1392

Older Intel iGPUs don’t like the Split Presentation Thread change but I don’t know if this affects macOS or not.

So far, the game hasn’t crashed but there is a definite FPS/Speed difference between the nightly builds and the canary one that I was on. Are there settings that you would recommend me to enable/disable to be able to run the game a bit smoother?

Since these are older builds they lack some optimizations. But if 1393 runs fine without crashes then probably it’s not Split Presentation Thread that is causing the random crashes in your case.

Yeah, 1393 is working the best so far. Been able to get farther than I was before without crashing. It’s probably running at 80% of it’s regular speed so I didn’t know if there are other things that I can do to help bump that up to at least normal speed.

Ok, then we will need to bisect further to find out what change for macOS caused this issue. I will link you a build and then you tell me if it works or not.

Since Nightly 1393 is working can you test latest Nightly(1520)? You ran Canary before, it is easier to bisect using Nightly than Canary.

Okay – the latest Nightly build runs slower than 1393. Are there special settings that I need to incorporate on this one?

Upload a log(as always :P). Though right now I’m focusing on the crashes.