Pokemon Sun Crashes out of nowhere

Pokemon Sun Crashes out of nowhere, and it has been fully operational before this point:
So, I’m playing Pokemon Nova Sun (it’s a romhack of the original Pokemon Sun, but it doesn’t have to do anything with the matter I don’t think), and it had been playing perfectly for 15+ hours until today. Whenever I get to this certain point in the game, it just hard-freezes out of nowhere and I cannot continue, I have to stop the emulator and open it back up to get back to my previous save-point, and when I get to the spot it previously crashed it does the exact same thing again. I have already tried using different (older) citra versions, but the problem is the exact same on those. Whenever I try to close Citra after the freeze happens, it gives me “not responding” first.

System Information

• Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
  • CPU: Ryzen 7 2700
  • GPU: GTX 1060 3GB
  • Citra Version : Citra Canary 1939
  • Game: Pokemon Sun
  • Screenshot of Issue (include the full Citra window including titlebar): https://ibb.co/QvGg9Dr

Diagnostic Log
There is most definitely some valuable information in the log, it gives a bunch of error stuff, but the max size I can upload is 4096KB, and my log file is 5046KB…

In order for us to provide better support, we need to see the log generated by Citra. This guide will walk you through how you can obtain the log file: How to Upload the Log File.

Please upload the log file’s contents to something like pastebin and then link it here, or upload the file itself to something like google drive and post the public link to it here so we can download it and take a look at it.

Yes, I was about to say I already tried pastebin and it was too big even for that, but here is the drive link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yJtHR0EZrh8Ur2Bl3i58ubwaYPkU3nEk/view

That’s a private link, I cannot access that. Make sure to make it available to the public.

Excuse me. This should work.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yJtHR0EZrh8Ur2Bl3i58ubwaYPkU3nEk/view?usp=sharing

You have a ton of unmapped read spam in your log file, which usually indicates one of a couple of things:

1. A faulty game update.
  2. A faulty DLC.
  3. An incompatible cheat code
  4. A bad ROM dump.

Since you appear to have cheats enabled and that’s the easiest to test, disable any and all cheats --> Then restart Citra (important, otherwise they remain active) and then try your game again. If it still crashes upload another log file.

Hi there,

I deleted the cheat(s) I had, but sadly, the issue still persists.

Log file is here:

citra_log.txt (25.2 KB)

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Canary 1940 HEAD-50f093f
Operating System                              Windows 10 (10.0)
CPU                                           AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Eight-Core Processor          
Graphics API                                  OpenGL 3.3.0
Graphics Renderer                             GeForce GTX 1060 3GB/PCIe/SSE2
GPU Driver Version                            461.40
CPU JIT                                       [x]
Hardware Renderer                             [x]
Hardware Shader                               [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [x]
Shader JIT                                    [ ]
System Region                                 -1
Shader Disk Cache                             [ ]

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• You have cheats enabled. This might cause weird behaviour or crashes. Please disable them and retest if your game is experiencing bugs or crashes.

I see what the bot says, but that’s VERY confusing to me because this is what I have:

Also, I have had cheats on the ENTIRE time until this point. So that makes it even more strange that the cheats could be the issue.

Okay, I started it up again, and it worked this time! I didn’t get stuck at the point I normally get stuck at! I’m gonna post the log to see if the bot still sees anything wrong with it.

Does this mean that I just have to be careful with when I use cheats? And that after I use them, I immediately delete them after?

Thank you @SleepingSnake so much for the help still though, this instilled a lot of stress into me.

citra_log.txt (274.3 KB)

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Canary 1940 HEAD-50f093f
Operating System                              Windows 10 (10.0)
CPU                                           AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Eight-Core Processor          
Graphics API                                  OpenGL 3.3.0
Graphics Renderer                             GeForce GTX 1060 3GB/PCIe/SSE2
GPU Driver Version                            461.40
CPU JIT                                       [x]
Hardware Renderer                             [x]
Hardware Shader                               [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [x]
Shader JIT                                    [ ]
System Region                                 -1
Shader Disk Cache                             [ ]

I did not find anything wrong in your log file. Please wait for a moderator to assist.

I made very sure to mention this earlier.

Those cheats are basically memory injects. If you use a cheat that isn’t designed for your game or your game’s specific version it could definitely cause crashing and freezing. You need to be very careful with them as using a faulty/incompatible cheat could even corrupt your save data. Always back up your save data before using cheats.

Usually, if your cheat is functioning as intended, there’s no need to remove them afterwards. Though, if your game is behaving oddly, it’s advised to disable all cheats, then restart Citra and check if the game still behaves in the same way. If it doesn’t, you’ll have to enable the cheats one by one to figure out which one causes the issues.

Common things to watch out for with cheats:
A lot of cheats are game version and game region restricted.
This means that a cheat made for the US version of the game will not work on the EUR version of the game.
It also means that if you dumped a game update, like version 1.2 or something like that, a cheat made for the base game only (version 1.0) would not function correctly. You’ll either need to find the 1.2 version of the cheat (if one exists) or uninstall the 1.2 update in order to use the version 1.0 cheat code.
Having incompatible version or game update cheats applied to your game, can most definitely cause the aformentioned issues.

Lastly, cheats requiring button presses to activate currently don’t function in Citra. Though having them activated shouldn’t affect game stability so long as they have the correct version and region. They simply won’t work.

You should re-enable Shader JIT in Emulation>Configuration>Graphics>Advanced Tab for some extra performance.

Alright, I see. I did remove all cheats and then restart, but nevertheless, I was indeed lazy to quit after 1 time, as the second time after that worked.

The only reason I could think of that the game wouldn’t work is that I updated Citra a couple of days ago? But I managed to play for more then 2 hours after the update without anything strange at all happening, it really felt like it was a specific trigger in the game that made it crash. (there’s livestream footage of that lmao, the fact that I’m streaming this is what made me so nervous)

I’m just going to be extremely save for now on. I play Pokemon, and the cheat is a “exp cheat code” to grind up my Pokemon, which I only need to use once every 1-2 hours for 5 minutes, so I’ll just make sure to save a LOT before and after using the code, and delete it right after I’m done with it.

Nevertheless though, thank you so much for t he help and the useful information. It’s great that there’s a platform like this which you can ask for help on. If the issue comes back another time, I’ll make another post.

Thank you very much, and have a great day!

1 Like