Pokemon Sun & Ultra Sun crash after being rerandomized

Issue:
To save time after a failed run I try to have a save state right before I choose my starter but it always crashes. Here is what I do.

1. Start the game
  2. Load save state
  3. As soon as a cutscene would trigger or I attempt to save using the in game save it will freeze.

(also, I am randomizing by using a layerd fs, and placing the files in the mods folder)

System Information

• Operating System: Windows 10
  • CPU: Intel i7-9750-H
  • GPU: GeForce RTX 2070
  • Citra Version (found in title bar): 1697
  • Game: Pokemon Sun/ Ultra Sun
  • Screenshot of Issue (include the full Citra window including titlebar):

Diagnostic Log
Upload your log file as an attachment by dragging & dropping.

citra_log.txt (496.0 KB)

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Nightly 1697 HEAD-b3cab3c
Operating System                              Windows 10 (10.0)
CPU                                           Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz
Graphics API                                  OpenGL 3.3.0
Graphics Renderer                             GeForce RTX 2070 with Max-Q Design/PCIe/SSE2
GPU Driver Version                            442.19
CPU JIT                                       [x]
Hardware Renderer                             [x]
Hardware Shader                               [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [x]
Shader JIT                                    [x]
System Region                                 -1
Shader Disk Cache                             [x]

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• You are running out of date drivers for your GPU. You need to install the most recent driver for your graphics card from NVIDIA’s website. Download Drivers | NVIDIA
  • The CPU Clock percentage is not 100%. You may experience unexpected game speed.

We don’t provide support for ROM Hacks, mods or randomization. Please check if the same issue occurs without the randomization present.

Also, some information about save states in particular:
If you created the save state before changing the game files (like adding a mod or an update), the save state might not work as intented upon loading. The save state doesn’t just save the game progress, it also saves Citra’s settings/version, it’s file path, the game’s ‘‘state’’ and any other information it needs to be ‘‘loaded’’ later on. This means that any of the aforementioned things that were changed after saving a save state, will be reverted back to what they were at the time the save state was created, upon the loading of that save state.
^ This is also why save state tend to not function correctly when they’re loaded on a different Citra version than the one they were created on.

It would therefore be a good idea to double check if loading the game normally (without the use of save states) works as intented.

yep, loading it normally works. I just have to start over from the very beginning. Was just hoping there would be a way to save some time in between runs. I just wanted to check if there was a workaround way to do it.

Like I said, a save state works if the situation you’re loading them on is the same as the situation you saved them in. Meaning that if you were to create a save state now (now that your game is randomized), loading it in the future wouldn’t be a problem. Though if you’re testing out different randomization mods, then yea, save states are probably not the best option for this.

What you could do is create normal save file at the beginning of the game. Then close the game (Emulation>Stop). Right click on your game, then select Open Save Data Location. You should see a main file here. This is your save file. Back up this file somewhere so that you can restore it as needed. Be careful not to overwrite your save progress unintentionally later on when doing this though.

Awesome, thanks! I’ll give that a shot. I was hoping for something like this.