Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon crashing in dungeons

Issue:
Enter a description of your issue here, in full detail.

System Information

• Operating System: Windows 10
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Ti Laptop GPU
  • Citra Version (found in title bar): 1748
  • Game: Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon
  • Screenshot of Issue (include the full Citra window including titlebar): The game crashes randomly when in dungeons.

Diagnostic Log
Upload your log file as an attachment by dragging & dropping.
citra_log.txt (6.3 KB)
citra_log.txt.old.txt (110.8 KB)

I’m in the first few parts of the game where I go through the dungeons with Nuzleaf and try to rescue Goomy for Deerling and the other two. Going through the dungeon is fine until it randomly stops and crashes. I don’t know what’s causing it or how to fix it. I also notice sometimes the audio cuts out again and again and usually that’s a sign that the game is about to crash.

No game was booted in your log. If you are experiencing a crash then do not open citra again until after you posted the log as it gets purged when you reopen citra.
For more information, see How to Upload the Log File

System Information for Support

Client Version                               Nightly 1748   HEAD-4e15823
Operating System                             Windows 10 (10.0)
CPU                                          AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics          | AVX2 | FMA
Graphics API                                 OpenGL 3.3.0
Graphics Renderer                            NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Ti Laptop GPU/PCIe/SSE2
GPU Driver Version                           472.56
CPU JIT                                      [x]
Hardware Renderer                            [x]
Hardware Shader                              [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication     [x]
Shader JIT                                   [x]
System Region                                -1
Shader Disk Cache                            [x]

I did not find anything wrong in your log file. Please wait for a human moderator to assist.

I cannot because Citra closes when the game crashes.

Sounds like a bad dump if anything. You’ll need to redump your game. Please refer to our game dumping guides:

Dumping Game Cartridges
Dumping Installed Titles

Make sure your GM9 is up to date and that you have enough free storage space available on your SD-Card to perform the dump.

I noticed that I’ve been having the same problems with Pokemon Y so it doesn’t seem to be an issue with the game.

There were a few things I did that may or may not have solved the issue. All I know is after I did the following I’m not crashing anymore (for now)

1. I had an issue where my DS4 controller kept disconnecting and I noticed whenever my controller DCed that’s when the game froze and sometimes crashed Citra. I replaced the cable and the crashes went down and I didn’t get random stutters every 5 seconds.
  2. I went to the Citra folder location and deleted shaders/opengl folder as instructed from another help post from here
  3. I had texture filters set to xBRZfreescale. I set it to none and it seems to have helped stop the crashes.
  4. Run Citra as Admin

I was able to play normally for about an hour or so without any more problems.

You’re welcome to anyone finding this through Google

1 Like
  1. Definitely possible. We’ve had reports about some controllers causing similar issues when disconnecting.
  2. Unlikely to be the issue. We fixed the shader cache bug over a year ago.
  3. This simply modifies a frame, it doesn’t touch anything that could cause crash. Unless your GPU driver is proper crappy or something. Which is unlikely.
  4. That’s always recommended, especially on systems that share permissions with other “accounts”.

One other thing to keep in mind would be an anti-virus software. Those can be overzealous sometimes and close Citra at random.

Update: Even after the four solutions I did I still get random crashes both on Super Mystery Dungeon and Pokemon Y. However not as often as before.

I’ve tried the controller wired on a new cable and on bluetooth, didn’t seem to change anything.

I’ve uploaded another log after the crash. It’s on Google Drive as it’s failing to upload here for some reason.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Dslcc_I5W1GqMEqXqoSTF8a8S7jFFYDj/view?usp=sharing

The only anti-virus I have is Windows Defender, I’ll try putting Citra on a whitelist and see if that helps with anything.