Pokemon Sword performance sanity check

I’m comparing two systems and getting surprising results, and just want to know if they seem reasonable and I just need to accept it, or if it seems like something is wrong and I could get more performance with some adjustments. The performance gulf seems too wide to be due simply to a simple difference raw hardware performance and feels instead like some setting or optimization gone wrong that I could maybe fix, but that’s where I am lost.

On one system (8750H + 1060 mobile) the game runs at 30 fps (full speed) most of the time, with only occasional stutters and is overall very playable, holding speed under 30 consistently only when in heavy areas and when it does, it’s still fast enough.

On the other (specs below), testing outside Hop’s house in the starting area, the best I can get is around 23 - 24 fps standing still, and generally just under 20 when running around. When I move forward into town to see Leon for the first time, it drops to single digits and holds it for the whole scene.

CPU 4770k @ 4 GHz
GPU R9 Fury @ 1150 MHz
RAM 32 GB DDR3 1600
Driver: 20.2.2 (currently updating to 20.4.2 and will test again)
Please let me know if you need more information.

I’ve tried the mainstream build (which the laptop uses) as well as the latest EA (877). I’ve tried with and without multicore CPU, Async GPU, disk shader cache, OpenGL and Vulkan, and everything else I can think of. The above performance figures were for the best case scenario.

Any help would be appreciated!

In order for us to provide better support, we need to see the log generated by Citra. This guide will walk you through how you can obtain the log file: How to Upload the Log File.

That’s normal, yuzu is quite bandwidth limited, and DDR3 memory is quite slower than DDR4. Plus, the AVX1 and 2 instruction sets on Skylake based CPUs are a lot faster than the implementation on Haswell ones. To top it off, the AMD drivers are slow, even on Vulkan you will get lower performance than Nvidia.

1 Like

Thank you for the information and detailed answer :slight_smile:

1 Like