Pokemon Ultra Moon: Terrible performance on 3080ti/5 ghz cpu

Issue:
Constant framerate hitching during cutscenes, sometimes for a full second. I didn’t even dare try to play the game, that probably would have caused me to blow an artery.

Yes, this PC is stable in all respects, and citra is running on a samsung 970 evo plus NVMe drive.

System Information

• Operating System: Windows 10
  • CPU: Intel i7 10600k (OC’d to 5ghz)
  • GPU: Zotac ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 Ti AMP
  • Citra Version (found in title bar): Citra Nightly 1723
  • Game: Pokemon Ultra Moon

citra_log.txt (32.4 KB)

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Nightly 1723 HEAD-4817b00
Operating System                              Windows 10 (10.0)
CPU                                           Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10GHz | AVX2 | FMA
Graphics API                                  OpenGL 3.3.0
Graphics Renderer                             NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
GPU Driver Version                            471.96
CPU JIT                                       [x]
Hardware Renderer                             [x]
Hardware Shader                               [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [x]
Shader JIT                                    [x]
System Region                                 -1
Shader Disk Cache                             [x]

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• Please enable the Vsync option if you are experiencing screen tearing.

Played a bit more. It looks increasingly like the framedrops/hitching are related to the loading of assets into memory. It’s specific to changing scenes, like starting a cutscene or battle, or the appearance of new effects; i.e., during battle: the first time a move is used, it can cause a half-second pause, but subsequent uses don’t usually have that problem.

It’s almost impossible to have buttery smooth, perfect frame pacing in Citra atm even with high end hardware. You could try underclock Citra in the System tab and see if that helps somewhat but it will make emulation more unstable so expect crashes or freezes.

Pokémon games do “CRO loading” when there is a new scene iirc and that pretty much causes the drops.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks for the acknowledgement. Guess I’ll try again in a few years, when someone finally works it out.

1 Like