Pokémon Ultra Sun black screen when loading save

Issue:
I simply open the game, try to enter my save and it hangs up. Yes, my GPU driver is updated but it doesn’t work. I’m at v417.12 GeForce Game Ready Driver.

System Information

• Operating System: Windows 11
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-7500U
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
  • Citra Version (found in title bar): Canary 1992
  • Game: Pokémon Ultra Sun

Diagnostic Log
citra_log.txt (4.9 KB)

I did not find anything wrong in your log file. Please wait for a moderator to assist.

I did not find anything wrong in your log file. Please wait for a moderator to assist.

The log file is incomplete. Make sure you follow the steps carefully:

1. Open Citra, then go to File>Open Citra Folder (Citra>Open Citra Folder if on MacOS) and open up the log folder. Now keep that open in the background.
  2. Launch your game and encounter the problem; crash/slowdown/glitch and close Citra if it doesn’t do so by itself. Do not restart Citra as that will wipe the log of important information!
  3. Now upload the log file in this chat.

citra_log.txt (24.4 KB)

Note: disabling the one cheat I had didn’t fix it.

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Canary 1992 HEAD-9a40f51
Operating System                              Windows 10 (10.0)
CPU                                           Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz | AVX2 | FMA
Graphics API                                  OpenGL 3.3.0
Graphics Renderer                             NVIDIA GeForce 940MX/PCIe/SSE2
GPU Driver Version                            472.12
CPU JIT                                       [x]
Hardware Renderer                             [x]
Hardware Shader                               [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [x]
Shader JIT                                    [x]
System Region                                 -1
Shader Disk Cache                             [x]

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• You have cheats enabled. This might cause weird behaviour or crashes. Please disable them and retest if your game is experiencing bugs or crashes.

CPU                                           Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz | AVX2 | FMA

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• You have cheats enabled. This might cause weird behaviour or crashes. Please disable them and retest if your game is experiencing bugs or crashes.

Your log file still says that your cheat is enabled. Did you restart Citra after disabling your cheat code?

What I mean to say is. I crashed and sent log file. I disabled cheats but it did nothing, I had the exact same crash. The cheat didn’t interfere at all, it’s simply “No Outlines”.
citra_log.txt (60.6 KB)

Try using a portable Citra version to see if the issue is maybe related to your current Citra installation:

Go to Download Citra - Citra and select Manual download. Then under Nightly Build, click on your operating system’s icon to the right of the latest build available to download the build.
Extract it (.7z can be extracted using Winrar or 7zip) (.tar.gz can be extracted natively on MacOS) and put it where ever you wish. Inside the extracted mingw folder, create a folder called user. This Citra should now store all of its config, save files and such inside of this user folder.
Check to make sure that this user folder is in the same folder that contains citra-qt(.exe)
Now run the citra-qt executable found inside of the mingw folder.

First test if the game runs on this portable build (it shouldn’t have any save files yet). If it does, it’s time to move your save file over.
Start up your regular Citra version and right click on your game in Citra’s game list (you may need to add a game directory for your game first for it to show up here), then select Open Save Data Location. Copy the main file you see here.

Now start up your portable Citra version you’ve just set up and go to the same location using the same steps and then replace the main file found here with the one you just copied.

Now launch your game again on the portable build and see if the issue remains. If it does, upload another log file.

For some reason the problem was my save extracted from N3DS. (which opens fine on PKHeX)

At least we’ve ruled that out. If you edited your save file using PKHeX once before this happened, keep in mind that, whilst rare, it can happen when using save file editors. Always keep/make a back-up, just in case. Losing progress always sucks.