Pokemon Ultra Sun seems to crash randomly

Issue:
The game runs fine, with a couple of frame drops here and there it mostly plays great

that is before it crashes in seemingly random intervals

System Information

• Operating System: Windows 8.1
  • CPU: Inter ® Core™ i3-3110M
  • GPU: Intel HD 4000 (yeah it’s ancient)
  • Citra Version : nightly 1507
  • Game: Pokemon ultra sun
  • Screenshot of Issue (include the full Citra window including titlebar):

Diagnostic Log
citra_log.txt (351.7 KB)

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Nightly 1507 HEAD-39463f1
OpenGL Vendor                                 Intel
OpenGL Renderer                               Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
OpenGL Version                                3.3.0
GPU Driver Version                            10.18.10.4276
Enable Hardware Renderer                      [x]
Enable Hardware Shader                        [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [ ]
Hardware Shader, Geometry Shaders             null
Enable Shader JIT                             [x]
Enable Vsync                                  null
System Region                                 -1

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• You are running out of date drivers for your GPU. You need to install the most recent driver for your graphics card from Intel’s website. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/80939/Graphics-Drivers
  • Enabling Accurate Multiplication is recomended in certain games. If you are experiencing graphical glitches, try enabling this option.
1 Like

Having similar issues with my Macbook.

System Information

• Operating System: MacOS Mojave
  • CPU: 1.6 GHz Intel Core i5
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB
  • Citra Version : nightly 1507
  • Game: Pokemon Omega Ruby and Sun

citra_log.txt (4.0 MB)

Client Version                                Nightly 1507 HEAD-39463f1\
OpenGL Vendor                                 Intel Inc.\
OpenGL Renderer                               Intel(R) HD Graphics 6000\
OpenGL Version                                null
Enable Hardware Renderer                      NaN
Enable Hardware Shader                        NaN
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      NaN
Enable Shader JIT                             NaN
System Region                                 [x]

I did not find anything wrong in your log file. Please wait for a moderator to assist.

It states that the Graphics Hardware encountered an error.

Application Specific Information:
abort() called

Application Specific Signatures:
Graphics hardware encountered an error and was reset: 0x00000813\

Here is the whole reportReport_Crash.txt (83.7 KB)

Just crashed again…

Please fix the issue with the emulator crashing after about 20-30 mincitra_log.txt (510.2 KB)

Client Version                                Nightly 1507 HEAD-39463f1\
OpenGL Vendor                                 Intel Inc.\
OpenGL Renderer                               Intel(R) HD Graphics 6000\
OpenGL Version                                null
Enable Hardware Renderer                      NaN
Enable Hardware Shader                        NaN
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      NaN
Enable Shader JIT                             NaN
System Region                                 [x]

I did not find anything wrong in your log file. Please wait for a moderator to assist.

@mastersdk Hi, try these two builds and let me know if Nightly 1393 crashes but 1392 does not.
https://github.com/citra-emu/citra-nightly/releases/tag/nightly-1393
https://github.com/citra-emu/citra-nightly/releases/tag/nightly-1392
since you are on macOS get citra-osx-20191214-ddb7ead.tar.gz and extract it somewhere then go into the citra.app folder and eventually you should see citra-qt that you can open(not sure if you need the terminal or not).
for @jaycee you would pick the windows version, it’s there too under Assets.

If 1392 is fine the your GPU doesn’t like the new split presentation thread which has been like the first step towards having split windows for top & bottom screens and comes with improved vsync.

Just installed the 1392 nightly and it still crashed after about 20 min. I installed the 1392 version.

I unpacked the zip and replaced it in my citra nigthly folder.

and replaced it in my citra nigthly folder.

Ow, you shouldn’t have done that. I guess next time I have to reiterate “somewhere” with “somewhere unrelated to current Citra” for the next person :stuck_out_tongue:

Will try that… So just anywhere in the application folder?

Hm, I never touched a mac so but you should be able to just make a new folder on your desktop and extract it there? Probably the easiest.

Will do that and tell you how it goes. What is the reason for the newest version crashing and not this one?

At least on older Intel GPUs they just simply don’t like the split presentation thread change. The driver crashes(at least on Windows).

If you still crash then it’s not related to that. Maybe if you Google on 0x00000813 you might find more information.

An option might be to go to the App Store and search for updates, maybe that will help.

My computer is up to date.

I have tried to google the error but I cannot seem to find a fix. Only thing I found was https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6521517 but there doesnt seem to be a fix.

The crashes mostly happens in and out of battles. Hopefully this older version will do better. Will inform you of how it goes. What is also weird is I played Pokemon X for multiple hours and never had the issue.

Would a newer computer fix this issue? Like if I upgraded to the new Macbook Air 2020?

I see, I thought you would be able to update to like macOS 15 Catalina or something :stuck_out_tongue: but maybe your current mac is not compatible for it.

I cannot comment if buying a newer mac will be better but I can say this. Apple has deprecated OpenGL that Citra uses so with that in mind I would not buy one if the interest is Citra.
For Citra I would switch gears and go for a Windows computer, on the laptop scene there will be new Zen 2 processors in the Ryzen 4000 series that are a big step up so there should be affordable models in the near future as they are releasing now in Q2. Ideally you will want Nvidia graphics or if you don’t mind installing Linux then Radeon is fine but on Windows, Radeon performs poorly in OpenGL applications.

My macbook is compatable with this version. I have just tried not to update since it normally hurts the performance. But I will try and see if it helps. Thanks a million for all your help…

Updated to new OSx system (Catalina) and havent seen Nightly 1392 crash ever since (2-3 hours of playtime). I hope that was it…

OK so i undated my GPU driver and it worked well yesterday and i was able to play for hours
but then it started crashing again, even more frequently

any suggestions?

Upload a new log. Did you turn on Accurate Multiplication btw and cleared the shader cache? (File->Open Citra Folder -> open shaders -> delete opengl folder) Make sure Accurate Multiplication is turned on so you won’t get the bug.

1 Like