Pokemon X crash/freeze and screen glitch

Issue:
Everytime, right after the intro and before i can type the player name, Citra freezes or crashes. Sometimes the entire screen goes black and i have to restart my computer (i can’t even open task manager with CTRL+ALT+DEL); other times the screen is frozen but audio is still playing. Plus, the right part of the top screen is a little bit glitched (not always, for example when the game shows that kind of portrait with many Pokemons the screen is fine).

System Information

• Operating System: Windows 10 version 2009
  • CPU: Intel(R) Core™ i3-6006U CPU @ 2.00GHz
  • GPU: Intel(R) HD Graphics 520
  • Citra Version (found in title bar): Nightly 1813
  • Game: Pokemon X
  • Screenshot of Issue (include the full Citra window including titlebar):
    citra_log.txt (34.4 KB)

Diagnostic Log
Upload your log file as an attachment by dragging & dropping.

In order to save a copy of the log, follow this guide:
https://community.citra-emu.org/t/how-to-upload-the-log-file/296

System Information for Support

Client Version                               Nightly 1813   HEAD-3b6ffd9
Operating System                             Windows 10 Version 2009
CPU                                          Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6006U CPU @ 2.00GHz | AVX2 | FMA
Graphics API                                 OpenGL 4.3.0
Graphics Renderer                            Intel(R) HD Graphics 520
GPU Driver Version                           25.20.100.6518
CPU JIT                                      [x]
Hardware Renderer                            [x]
Hardware Shader                              [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication     [x]
Shader JIT                                   [x]
System Region                                -1
Shader Disk Cache                            [x]

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• You are running out of date drivers for your GPU. You need to install the most recent driver for your graphics card from Intel’s website. Support for Intel® Graphics

Your driver is out of date. To update, download and install gfx_win_101.3790_101.2114.exe from Intel® Graphics – Windows* DCH Drivers
Mirror download: https://downloadmirror.intel.com/751359/gfx_win_101.3790_101.2114.exe

I had some problems with the driver you posted, but i managed to install it and now it works properly!
After i downloaded it, the installer displayed an error: i couldn’t update my driver because the old one was “locked” from the manufacturer; to fix this, i uninstalled the existing driver from Control Panel → Device Management → Display adapters → Intel(R) HD Graphics 520 → Right click → Uninstall; then i rebooted my laptop, installed the new driver and rebooted it again.
After these steps, the screen wasn’t glitched anymore and i was able to play without any glitches or freezes!
I hope this workaround can help other users with the same problem.
Thanks a lot! :grin:

This is specific to those who are stuck on proprietary drivers. We usually suggest a workaround that is somewhat similar:

We tell users to download a legacy driver .zip (which means it’ll work on almost all devices) and then install it manually using this guide:
https://www.howtogeek.com/343287/how-to-fix-the-driver-being-installed-is-not-validated-for-this-computer-on-intel-computers/

Installing it manually, instead of through the .exe will allow you to circumvent the driver lock on the proprietary driver. After that, we tell users to update to the latest DCH drivers using the .exe. Which should work after that.

The reason why we don’t do it your way is because some proprietary drivers have Windows reinstall themselves right after they’re uninstalled (I think Lenovo does that). You luckily didn’t turn out to have that problem.

In short, proprietary drivers suck ass.