Pokemon X frame drops and freezes

Frame drops and (sometimes) freezes:
I’ve been playing Pokemon X on Citra for a couple of hours and have gotten a lot of frame drops and some freezes (when walking around or mega evolving). The framedrops are going from 30 fps to 5 fps (speed is also reduced to 50-70% when it happens) Eventually I searched it up and saw that I could be helped.

I didn’t have this problem on Alpha Sapphire with 3x internal resolution, but do on X with 2x.

System Information

• Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview (64 bit)
  • Intel® Core™ i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz
  • Intel® HD Graphics 520
  • Citra Nightly 1694
  • Pokemon X (Europe)
  • Don’t really know how to get a screenshot of framedrops

Diagnostic Log
citra_log.txt (10.0 KB)

I did not find anything wrong in your log file. Please wait for a moderator to assist.

The log file is incomplete. Make sure you follow the steps carefully:

1. Open Citra, then go to File>Open Citra Folder and open up the log folder. Now keep that open in the background.
  2. Launch your game and encounter the problem; crash/slowdown/glitch and close citra if it doesn’t do so by itself. Do not restart citra as that will wipe the log of important information!
  3. Now upload the log file in this chat.

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Nightly 1694 HEAD-e6c479f
Operating System                              Windows 10 (10.0)
CPU                                           Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz
Graphics API                                  OpenGL 3.3.0
Graphics Renderer                             Intel(R) HD Graphics 520
GPU Driver Version                            26.20.100.7812
CPU JIT                                       [x]
Hardware Renderer                             [x]
Hardware Shader                               [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [x]
Shader JIT                                    [x]
System Region                                 2
Shader Disk Cache                             [ ]

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• The CPU Clock percentage is not 100%. You may experience unexpected game speed.

Is this better?

citra_log.txt (49.1 KB)

(Ive already changed the CPU clock % to 100% again (like the Citrabot suggested)

CPU                                           Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz

• The CPU Clock percentage is not 100%. You may experience unexpected game speed.

This driver is out of date. To update it, download and install igfx_win10_100.9168.exe (direct link) from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30148/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers

Furthermore, please go to File>Open Citra Folder and open up the config folder. Then delete the qt-config.ini file found there and restart Citra. It should behave as if it’s the first time you’re launching it (don’t worry, your save files and the like are all still there).

My computer doesn’t meet the minimum requirement to install the software. (Ive tried everything said on the Intel website and nothing worked).

This won’t be a big problem, right?

The other suggestion did work, and I am getting less frame drops (still some, but not as bad as before)

Ah, then you’re probably stuck on proprietary drivers. You can get around that by manually downgrading to an older driver version and then updating to the latest driver version again. For more information about why this is necessary, check the guide I’ll post below:

To downgrade your drivers manually: Download win64_25.20.100.6373.zip (direct link) from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28289/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10

Then follow this guide to install it: https://www.howtogeek.com/343287/how-to-fix-the-driver-being-installed-is-not-validated-for-this-computer-on-intel-computers/

After you’ve installed those older drivers, you should be able to directly install the latest drivers available: Download and install igfx_win10_100.9168.exe (direct link) from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30148/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers