Poor FPS - Pokemon Sword

Hi all,

New to Yuzu but been emulating for many years so roughly know what i’m doing.
Got Pokemon Sword up and running however i’m getting appalling FPS / speed while it’s only using a fraction of my CPU/GPU.
Cpu useage never goes above 25% ish, GPU never goes above 25% ish.
With this I get between 37% - 43% game speed and it flits between 7 and 20 fps (native game resolution, 1280x720)
How can I get Yuzu to max out my hardware?
Specs:
i7 3770 3.9ghz (quad core, 8 thread, permanently turbo’d to 3.9ghz)
EVGA GTX 980 (OC edition)
32GB DDR3 1600mhz ram (Corsair vengeance)
Asus Sabertooth motherboard
Yuzu Version 66 (or whatever the latest one is, says Yuzu 66 on the status bar)

It’s older kit but doesn’t struggle to run Read Dead 2 on ultra/high at a solid 50 - 60 fps @ 1080p, I don’t see why it should struggle with this, just need to make it max out my cores!

Cheers

In order for us to provide better support, we need to see the log generated by Citra. This guide will walk you through how you can obtain the log file: How to Upload the Log File.

Performance is tied to hardware. Despite what you may view your hardware as, you need the most up to date hardware in order to achieve the best possible performance. Your performance is adequate for your hardware.

Cheers for the quick response mate. I appreciate it’s older hardware, but I don’t understand why it’s only using a fraction of it? Cpu and gpu useage are only at 25%, is there no way I can get Yuzu to utilise all available power?

Programs only utilize what they need, and it may seem counter intuitive, but increasing cpu utilization percentage wouldn’t increase your performance. You need to increase the power behind the processor, which is to say, upgrade your hardware.

Please know that I mean no offense to your hardware, but at the current state of the emulator, you need beefy computer part.

1 Like

Thanks @Eloeri :slight_smile:

Is this because it’s only using 1 CPU core? Hence the 25% on a 4 core cpu?

Proper muticore support is on it’s way. The technical reason for your low performance is that any Intel CPU older than gen 6 (Skylake) has really low AVX performance, an extension that yuzu uses a lot.
Meanwhile you can enable Sync GPU on yuzu’s graphics options and Threaded Optimizations on the Nvidia control panel, that will add 2 extra threads.

1 Like

That’s good news, thanks!
I actually get worse performance with sync gpu enabled :slight_smile: