Problem with the amd zink workaround

Issue: i tried using the zink workaround with citra to make my performance not so intolerable. I use the method from the youtube guide posted by aeiou uoiea (i can provide the link to that, if you need)

once i patch the latest version of citra and run the bat file, the cmd pops up for a few seconds and then closes. trying to just run citra after doing this fails, as well. I’ve found that with some older versions of citra and the workaround, i can get citra to launch and attempt to load a game, but it crashes directly after loading shaders. monster hunter 4 ultimate launches just fine on a completely vanilla citra install, but lags, as usual for an amd gpu.

System Information

• Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
  • CPU: Intel(R) Core™ i5-8400 CPU 2.80ghz
  • GPU: AMD Radeon R9 390 Series
  • Citra Version (found in title bar): [Nightly Build - 06a9f69
  • Game: Monster hunter 4 ultimate
  • Screenshot of Issue (include the full Citra window including titlebar):

citra_log.txt (23.1 KB)

Diagnostic Log
Upload your log file as an attachment by dragging & dropping.

In order to save a copy of the log, follow this guide:
https://community.citra-emu.org/t/how-to-upload-the-log-file/296

System Information for Support

Client Version                               Canary 2337   HEAD-0096565
Operating System                             Windows 10 Version 2009
CPU                                          Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz | AVX2 | FMA
Graphics API                                 OpenGL 4.3.1
Graphics Renderer                            AMD Radeon (TM) R9 390 Series
GPU Driver Version                           22.6.1 27.20.20913.2000
CPU JIT                                      [x]
Hardware Renderer                            [x]
Hardware Shader                              [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication     [x]
Shader JIT                                   [ ]
System Region                                -1
Shader Disk Cache                            [x]

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• Due to AMD’s poorly optimized OpenGL driver, you may experience slowdowns.
  • Please enable the Vsync option if you are experiencing screen tearing.

We do not give support with custom modifications to Citra. If you require support with this, please contact the author of the video you followed.

To add to the above, we actually have WIP Vulkan builds available currently. Feel free to join our Discord server and check out the Vulkan testing channel. The instructions on how to download the build are listed in the pinned comments of that channel. It would be nice to have more users with pre-polaris/arctic islands GPUs test this out (your GPU no longer gets driver updates), since users with unsupported hardware like yours stand to gain the biggest performance improvements out of this.

AMD recently made a huge update for OpenGL performance of their drivers, which means that newer AMD GPUs no longer have much issues with Citra’s OpenGL API anymore.