Project X Zone 2 - Grid issue

Issue:
I’m limited to walking only in two directions: forward and backward. The other two directions (left and right) seem either to not respond or walking in the limited directions instead (ex. pressing the left button will make my character either to not respond or go forward). I’ve tested this with JoyCons’ D-Pad, Circle Pad and even a keyboard, having the same result every time.

This, however, applies only to movement of characters on the map. If I switch to free camera movement, I can move my camera in all directions with no problems at all. Also, everything works during fights, where I can choose to perform a combo by tilting D-Pad in any direction without any issues.

This issue is limited only to Project X Zone 2: Brave New World and Project X Zone 2 - Original Game Sound Edition. The predecessor Project X Zone works without those issues.

Tested games
Project X Zone 2 (EUR)
Project X Zone 2 OGSE (JPN)

System Information

• Operating System: Windows 10 Home x64 (version 1903)
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 4GB
  • Citra Version (found in title bar): Canary 1388
  • Games: Project X Zone 2, Project X Zone 2 OGSE
  • Screenshot of Issue (include the full Citra window including titlebar): This issue cannot be seen on a screenshot, so here’s a quick capture from within Citra: https://youtu.be/GTdFro6Ve_A

Diagnostic Log
citra_log.txt (111.9 KB)

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Canary 1388 HEAD-844f5a5
OpenGL Vendor                                 NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL Renderer                               GeForce GTX 1050/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL Version                                3.3.0
Enable Hardware Renderer                      [x]
Enable Hardware Shader                        [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [ ]
Hardware Shader, Geometry Shaders             [x]
Enable Shader JIT                             [x]
System Region                                 -1

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• Enabling Accurate Multiplication is recomended in certain games. If you are experiencing graphical glitches, try enabling this option.

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Canary 1388 HEAD-844f5a5
OpenGL Vendor                                 NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL Renderer                               GeForce GTX 1050/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL Version                                3.3.0
Enable Hardware Renderer                      [x]
Enable Hardware Shader                        [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [ ]
Hardware Shader, Geometry Shaders             [x]
Enable Shader JIT                             [x]
System Region                                 -1

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• Enabling Accurate Multiplication is recomended in certain games. If you are experiencing graphical glitches, try enabling this option.

Try this out:

Thanks for your response. The problem isn’t much about reversing the axis, I think. The game will hardly let me move left and right at all (even when using a keyboard or any other controller). I actually use BetterJoyForCemu since Windows 1903, because vJoy stopped working completely after the May 2019 update. Also, the prequel Project X Zone (or any other game I play) is not affected by this, so I thought it would be some translation issue in Citra. I just don’t know if anyone else has the same issue or not. The problem can be reproduced with both “Set analog stick” method and classic manual mapping.

Update: After approximately 2,5 hours of gameplay I figured out It’s actually a “feature”, because, on Nintendo 3DS, the only way you can move your character is using Circle Pad. When playing on Citra, it has to be set up using “Set analog stick”, otherwise it won’t work.

This answers the question of why it doesn’t work with a keyboard and Directional Pad. The grid is positioned diagonally, so the only way to move is to tilt the physical Circle Pad diagonally as well, which can’t be done by a keyboard where you’re limited to 4 directions. Tilting the Circle Pad forward will move my character forward, because it registers it to be a bit closer to the left side, which makes it go diagonally.

When compared to the original Project X Zone, you have to use the 4 basic directions, although the grid was still directional, which means I could use keyboard as well, while the next game, Project X Zone 2 and Project X Zone 2 OGSE had this feature changed to diagonal tilting of a Circle Pad.

This means I didn’t know it was a feature and therefore it’s solved.