Random crash playing pokemon Alpha Sapphire

Issue:
Citra crashes randomly when playing pokemon alpha sapphire, without warning. I only have alpha sapphire and a friend playing with the same ROM doesn’t have any problem, so it might come from the emulator. It happens quite often, every 20min I would say

System Information

• Operating System: Windows 10 2004
  • CPU: Intel i3 3120m
  • GPU: HD4000
  • Citra Version (found in title bar): Nightly 1629
  • Game: Pokemon Sapphire
  • Screenshot of Issue (include the full Citra window including titlebar): Full crash (no screenshot)

Diagnostic Log
citra_log.txt (818.5 KB)

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Nightly 1629 HEAD-1bb2057
Operating System                              Windows 10 (10.0)
CPU                                                  Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3120M CPU @ 2.50GHz
Graphics API                                  OpenGL 3.3.0
Graphics Renderer                             Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
GPU Driver Version                            10.18.10.5146
CPU JIT                                       [x]
Hardware Renderer                             [x]
Hardware Shader                               [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [ ]
Shader JIT                                    [x]
System Region                                 -1
Shader Disk Cache                             [x]

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• You are running out of date drivers for your GPU. You need to install the most recent driver for your graphics card from Intel’s website. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/80939/Graphics-Drivers
  • Enabling Accurate Multiplication is recomended in certain games. If you are experiencing graphical glitches, try enabling this option.

To update your drivers: Download win64_15.33.53.5161.zip(direct link) from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29969/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-33-?product=71465

Then follow this guide on how to install it: https://www.howtogeek.com/343287/how-to-fix-the-driver-being-installed-is-not-validated-for-this-computer-on-intel-computers/

After you’ve updated the drivers, follow these steps:

1. Open Citra then go to File->Open Citra Folder
  2. Open shaders folder then delete the opengl folder if it is there.
  3. Emulation->Configure... then click on Graphics on the left
  4. Click on the Advanced tab and turn on Accurate Multiplication

The Disk Shader Cache currently has a bug when Accurate Multiplication is turned off causing it to load all shaders slowly from zero every time you start the game and makes the precompiled cache extrememly large + the RAM usage skyrockets until you crash.

I’ll do that!
Thanks!

In addition, you should turn off New 3DS mode in the System tab in Citra configuration to see if that prevents some random crashes. If it doesn’t help, use this older Nightly build: https://github.com/citra-emu/citra-nightly/releases/tag/nightly-1392

Small update, since I have been playing a couple of hours with your solutions.
-Updating drivers and enabling accurate multiplication made the game load way faster but didn’t prevent Citra from randomly crashing
-Saw no difference by turning new3DS mode off
-Have tried tywald sugestion of using the older release, and since then I never got a single crash.

About the older release, I downloaded the folder from github and launched the “citra-qt” exe to play, without removing the other installation of Citra. To play, I just use the citra-qt and it works just fine (there is no installer in the folder). I’m not entirely sure if this is the proper way to use that folder from GitHub but it works, please let me know if I’m doing it wrong.

Anyway, the older release works for me, no crash since I started using it, so a big thanks to both of you!

1 Like

You are using it correctly!

A bit of information: Citra defaults to using folders created in appdata which contain config settings, log folder, the emulated SD card folders (which contain your save files and installed titles), nand, ect. The manually downloaded version you now use also uses those same folders. However, you can create a folder called user inside manual citra version’s nightly-mingw folder to have citra make all those folders it usually uses in appdata, in that user folder instead. Making your manual citra version completely portable!
To have that citra version use the normal appdata folders again, simply delete or rename the user folder.

1 Like

Thank you for your explanations!
To make it fuly portable and keeping my saves I would then just have to take the save folder from the appdata folder to the new user folder is it correct?