Shin Megami Tensei IV crashes when loading Tokyo

Issue:
When I attempt to reach the Tokyo world map for the first time, my entire PC screen goes black for a moment; when it returns, the Citra window is gone or white, and my PC gives me a notification saying “Display driver stopped responding and has recovered.”

System Information

• Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 @ 3.40GHz
  • GPU: 4096MB ATI Radeon RX 480 Graphics (MSI)
  • Citra Version: 1784
  • Game: Shin Megami Tensei IV
  • Screenshot of Issue:

Diagnostic Log
citra_log.txt (14.3 KB)
(There was an older log too but it was way longer because it kept repeating the same line over and over)

Also:
Had some friends look at the issue (this apparently never happened to them) and they said that either the ROM is corrupted or my OS is too old. I’ve already tried to enable/disable Accurate Multiplication but no dice. If I can’t find a way to fix the issue I’ll probably have to learn to port the game back to my 3DS, hopefully without losing my savefile (I was about 20 hours in when I encountered this crash and cannot progress otherwise).

System Information for Support

Client Version                               Nightly 1784   HEAD-47c4f31
Operating System                             Windows 7 SP 1 (6.1)
CPU                                          Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz | AVX2 | FMA
Graphics API                                 OpenGL 4.3.1
Graphics Renderer                            Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics
GPU Driver Version                           19.12.3 26.20.15003.5016
CPU JIT                                      [x]
Hardware Renderer                            [x]
Hardware Shader                              [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication     [x]
Shader JIT                                   [x]
System Region                                -1
Shader Disk Cache                            [x]

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• Due to AMD’s poorly optimized OpenGL driver, you may experience slowdowns.

Consider upgrading to Windows 10 to access the OpenGL optimized drivers 22.8.2 for your graphics card.

Otherwise use an older Citra version, iirc Nightly 1782

Amazingly, using an older build allowed me to progress past the crash. Might be jumping the gun but I’ll definitely come back if another issue arises. Thank you.

1 Like

We are currently doing an overhaul of the graphics backend (needs to be done before Vulkan can be added) and with that came removal of AMD specific hacks which probably is why you were crashing. However AMD fixed many issues with their latest driver so hacks aren’t needed anymore but is only available for Windows 10 & 11. (Windows 7 reached End of Life by Microsoft, January 14, 2020).