Smash 3DS Performance Issues

So I downloaded the recent Canary and Nightly build to check out the performance for Smash 3DS and I’m quite disappointed that it’s still the same for about few updates since 2020 or maybe before.

• The same “slow down performance” while using Final Smash
  • The same “blurred pause screen” or forcing to use Native resolution on the top screen despite already using 3x or more, and;
  • The stuttering graphics on certain stages.

I’m still using an older version of the canary build from October 2018 and that is far superior than the recent one, regarding performance and quality for Smash Bros.

No need for logs since this is more on Citra’s issue, not game issue.

In order for us to provide better support, we need to see the log generated by Citra. This guide will walk you through how you can obtain the log file: How to Upload the Log File.

A log would show your Citra settings and hardware which would be useful to know.

Let me know exact scenarios where performance is bad so I can check on my end with my hardware if it is just as bad.

Checked your screenshots and tried to get the same scene:

Looks fine to me and runs fast. I’m on a Ryzen 9 3900X with a GTX 1070 (for this test) though.
I have the EU version while you might have the US version seeing as it doesn’t say “PAUSED” in my screenshot and instead of “Pan” it says “Slide”.

Yes there is a performance loss in Battlefield while you get the Smash Ball however my PC is fast enough to not drop below 100% speed:

Without it the performance is around 3x better (3.48ms vs 11.25ms in the previous):

It might be due to the bloom effect which you can see being present on the platforms while moving around as well as the borders marked in red, this border looks similar as the one in like Fire Emblem: Awakening. There are other maps that run better.

I was going to upload logs atm kek. But yea. Do you think the bloom effect will be fixed, assuming the cause of the blurred pause screen and final smash effect is because of the said effect?

Edit: How do you even manage to get a clear Pause screen? It’s a bit annoying that it force switch to Native.
Specs: Nvidia 940MX for GPU but on the 2018 build, it performs better with no issue, except for the recent build.

Maybe the text “PAUSED” in the US version is the cause of the blur :stuck_out_tongue: seeing as I don’t have it in the EU version. My game is also updated to v1.1.7

The bloom effect probably won’t be fixed in the near future.

What old build are you testing with? It might have the old “Ignore Format Reinterpretation” hack. Currently there is a proper format reinterpretation implementation but it doesn’t cover everything, like in Kid Icarus: Uprising which is slow when you upscale without the hack.

Judging by the screenshots I provided, it is Canary Build 949. Not sure if it have that “hack”. Not aware if that exist.

Also, I thought the EUR version shows the PAUSED text when you press pause and later fade out (like the US version). And yes, v1.1.7.

Here’s the link of the exact build if you could check it out.

Yeah Canary 949 does have that hack as seen in the table here: https://github.com/citra-emu/citra-canary/tree/canary-949: “[NOT FOR MERGE YET] Ignore format reinterpretation hack”

You can compare Canary 1042 with 1041 where the hack was last seen:
https://github.com/citra-emu/citra-canary/releases/tag/canary-1041
https://github.com/citra-emu/citra-canary/releases/tag/canary-1042
1042 should be slower.

Hmm interesting. Is it possible to reimplement that on Canary build as an option or that’s gotta take alot of work to do so? Or maybe it’s been implemented but I haven’t seen it in Graphics.

Also, anyway to make the emulator not use Native Resolution on pause screen in the current version? I am working on a HD Texture Pack for Smash 3DS and it will be too difficult to see the comparisons in HD with the blurred out pause screen.

This PR superseded the hack:

Which is live on both Nightly and Canary, it unfortunately didn’t cover all cases. This might have been one of them. It did fix like roars in Monster Hunter games for example so that was great.

The hack broke other games such as Paper Mario so it wasn’t merged. Citra in general doesn’t want hacks but proper solutions.

I don’t know any fixes for the US version, it also has problems with like DLC. See more here: Smash 3DS Infinite Loading Screen

Sorry for the inconvenience.

I’ll report back to you later since I remember dumping a EUR copy from a friend who only have Australian 3DS (EUR). It’s pretty late now and my laptop is having trouble with system updates…

In the meantime, maybe it’s the settings that might’ve cause this. Could you send me the recommended settings for it if that’s the case? I’m pretty sure I have things by default.

Hey! Back again and I checked on the EUR Version and the blurred pause screen is not present there. So by all means, this is an issue in the US version (cannot test JP since I don’t have one). I’ll send in pictures atm.

Although, EUR still have the bad FPS drop after getting the Smash Ball. Anyway to fix the issue for US and possibly JP version?

Upload a log so we can see settings and drivers etc.

I can test on an older laptop with worse specs (i7-4710MQ with GeForce 840M). If it is like Mario Kart 7 then I will lose fps beyond like 3x resolution.

Maybe check GPU usage in like task manager. You want it to be as low as possible while maintaining 100% speed. If you get fps drops and you see 100% usage then you are GPU bottlenecked and need to lower resolution to speed it up.

A faster computer like a Ryzen 5 5600X with RTX 3060 would brute force it. It would stay below 16.67ms frametime which is the threshold for 100% speed.

Fsr, I can’t upload the current log. But I will send the older logcitra_log.txt.old.txt (866.2 KB)

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Canary 1992 HEAD-9a40f51
Operating System                              Windows 10 (10.0)
CPU                                           Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz | AVX2 | FMA
Graphics API                                  OpenGL 3.3.0
Graphics Renderer                             GeForce 940MX/PCIe/SSE2
GPU Driver Version                            452.06
CPU JIT                                       [x]
Hardware Renderer                             [x]
Hardware Shader                               [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [x]
Shader JIT                                    [x]
System Region                                 -1
Shader Disk Cache                             [x]

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• You are running out of date drivers for your GPU. You need to install the most recent driver for your graphics card from NVIDIA’s website. Download Drivers | NVIDIA
  • The CPU Clock percentage is not 100%. You may experience unexpected game speed.

If so, I have a awful system update from Windows that needs to be updated now. If only Microsoft stop sending updates or a way to permanently disable updates. It’s quite annoying that I have to deal with this every month. There are no good solution, other than delaying it. Micrcosoft will keep on sending updates whenever. Even now, it’s still updating but froze at 20%. It also got to 100% but it keeps on resetting to 0. It’s annoying.

You can try google windows update fix error SoftwareDistribution or something and give those solutions a try (e.g https://www.metaltoad.com/blog/how-solve-your-windows-update-hangingfailing) if you experience freezes and stuff with Windows Update.

Sometimes you might just need to be patient. On the laptop with i7-4710MQ that I have there have been times where it took like 1 hour with Windows Update while my other computers only needed a few minutes. The machine is pretty garbage by 2021 standards.

You currently have 300% clock speed set in Citra which can make emulation unstable and you can also get worse fps so it is recommended to keep it at 100%.

It seems that even on 100%, it’s still have slow performance during final smash effect. I guess this varies on what hardware the user is using. Thanks anyways and hoping for better performance in the future on weaker hardwares.

Also, would be nice to fix the blur pause screen/force native resolution for US version in the future. For now, I’ll stick to older version and will continue doing the HD texture pack with both US and EUR (if I can find a 100% save).