So, will Citra ever get easier to use with less-advanced PCs like PPSSPP?

So my first foray into Citra has been Monster Hunter XX, a game I’ve wanted to play for ages now.

And, well…it works, but just barely.

The stable “Nightly” build runs it very slow but it doesn’t crash. Thing is, for a game generally fast-paced like Monster Hunter it means it’s impossible to seriously hunt anything.

Meanwhile the most recent unofficial build that came with the Nightly version in the download (Canary), runs the game faster but it frequently experiences “visual crashes” - the game keeps running but the upper 3DS screen picture completely freezes and never fixes itself.

My computer is admittedly not great, its an Intel Core i3-6100U with 2.3GHz Processor and 8GB RAM.

This same computer runs several different MMOs and the PPSSPP emulator near-flawlessly. I previously also had Dolphin on it, and it ran on this computer well enough to play Monster Hunter Tri.

So, why is Citra unable to run smoothly on this PC when other emulators do quite fine?

Because Citra is not other emulators, and the 3DS is not a PSP, every emulator has a different set of challenges. The issues in the Canary build will be fixed eventually, that’s why they’re in Canary.

Any ETA as to when Citra will get a big update or no? Because previously Canary would run MHXX at a playable speed of roughly 65-80% with decent framerate, the issue was the top screen picture freezing while the rest of the game kept getting played like normal. Nightly ran it much slower but it never, ever froze like that.

The GPU update for Canary WAS the big update. It just doesn’t work with some cards, and that will be fixed over time. I wouldn’t count on Citra being much faster than it already is for you, since your hardware isn’t very good for emulation.

2 Likes

Technically speaking psp is old most of laptops, even tablet today is way powerful for the likes of psp, and to be fair 3ds is much advance than psp, means a lot more data/features/security to crunch/exploit/break. And just bec. Citra can play games now doesnt mean the dev finally complete in dissecting it. You can start comparing performance with other when citra plays XY. They havent arrive in version1 bro

It’s gonna be a really long time before Citra gets good. Right now, Citra’s slow but decent. If you want to play a game with decent speeds, play it on your 3DS. Besides, emulators are always advancing. Dolphin’s years in development and they’re still making big breakthroughs. It will be awhile before Citra’s like Dolphin.

Citra isn’t slow if you have semi-powerful hardware and not just basic integrated graphics.
Also, what does “get good” mean to you?

Is there any sort of external processor or something that can make a laptop run emulators better? How much does one of these cost, if its even worth it?

There is a adapter that you can plug a full size desktop GPU in, but you would be better off getting a new laptop or a desktop PC. It has a lot of quirks and it doesn’t work with all laptops.

Most people aren’t using Citra with the most powerful computer. Even then, with the most powerful equipment, Citra isn’t perfect.

If you want good, pray for the software (nightly build backend), kudos to the one who made openGL work on citra but its kinda one sided. The built in software renderer currently the only hope for all low-end pc and for other gpu build pc. I hope amd dev can think of something to balance this out.

That doesn’t make sense to me. I thought that Software Renderers were supposed to provide the most accurate emulation in comparison to Hardware Renderers. The specs needed to run games with it at full speed would be 10 times bigger than they are with a hardware renderer, if not more than that.

I am not a programmer, but after the recent glvtx update, the only things I can think about to further boost the performance of Citra on Low-End Hardware would be a DirectX based video renderer and code optimizations, leaving shortcuts/hacks aside. Whether or not the developers and contributors of Citra will consider such options is a different matter, however.

i have a 4010U i3 and 2GB NVIDIA 720M and mario, zelda and pokemon games run at perfect speed @1 - 3x IR… just make sure you use your graphic drivers and make sure it is up to date

Software renderers are indeed not meant for performance, but for accuracy.
Even if you have one of the worst GPUs, the hardware renderer should be faster.

Also, it’s unlikely that the Citra software renderer will be optimized much as it would add unnecessary complexity for code whichs main purpose is to be easy to understand.

However, there are other software renderers like MESA which provide OpenGL in case your GPU is to weak to even start Citra. Note that a tiny fraction of users is in this group. And on their machines, MESA (and the Citra hardware renderer) would still be too slow, albeit faster than Citras own software renderer.

The second half of your post contains misinformation which is probably based on Microsofts aggressive marketing. DirectX (and it’s Direct3D) only runs on Windows. However, many of our users are also running on macOS or even Linux, so Direct3D would add a lot of work but only the Windows users would benefit. As we’d still want to support other OS, we’d still have to maintain our OpenGL render, essentially doubling the work for new features (as they have to be added to OpenGL + Direct3D).

There’s also no good reason to prefer Direct3D over OpenGL.
Direct3D is a proprietary solution mostly designed by Microsoft, whereas OpenGL is an open-specification written by the GPU manufacturers (working together).
The performance is very similar, and often even better on OpenGL. Almost all drivers support both, but OpenGL is usually more feature rich due to its design. So if you don’t have a supported OpenGL version, you likely wouldn’t have the correct Direct3D version to run Citra either.

3 Likes

So now I’m getting a bit confused here, is it/will it soon be possible to run Citra on my PC with its current specs or no? Or should I just upgrade to a better PC this summer for both Monster Hunter Double Cross and (eventually) buying Monster Hunter World off of Steam when it releases for PC? Monster Hunter is one of my favorite series of all time but I’m quite frankly sick to death of all the console wars crap between Sony and Nintendo. The lack of a XX localization smells more than a little like a dirty payoff from Sony to Capcom.

Also, are there relatively easy to use save editors that can edit backed up saves for Steam games? Or .ROM games like Double Cross? Basically, as I have much as I love Monster Hunter, each of the two games in question is plagued.
with unnecessary RNG padding at the endgame that gets in the way of making the best sets. In MH Tri - XX, this was Talismans. In World, they finally fixed talismans but then reskinned the old talisman system for decorations.

In MH3U and MH4U and MH Generations, I have bypassed the broken talisman systems using either open-source save editors or Datel Powersaves. I know that for MHW on PS4 there’s the option of Save Wizard PS Max, but that costs another $60. And I remember hearing something about a Save Editor for MHXX on Citra. Can anyone clarify on this stuff?

Your PC will likely be not fast enough, but time will tell. For now, some games, in particular the Monster Hunter games, are still very slow in Citra. This could improve in the future, but it could also stay this way, even on fast machines.

So even with a fast PC, it might not work properly, so do not buy a new system just for Citra.
Wait until the game is emulated properly or you need a new machine for other tasks / games anyway.

This same computer runs several different MMOs and the PPSSPP emulator near-flawlessly. I previously also had Dolphin on it, and it ran on this computer well enough to play Monster Hunter Tri.

Note that you are comparing consoles from 2004 (PSP) and 2006 (Wii) to emulation of a much more modern system from 2011 (3DS).
5 years is a long time at the pace of technology. If your PC was 5 years newer, it would likely run a lot better too, right? So emulation of newer systems also typically takes a more recent machine.

Running games natively has very different requirements from emulation too. You can probably build a PC which runs most AAA games fine, but would still perform horribly at emulation.
What Citra might need, is not what AAA games might need.

1 Like

Okay, but what about the other component. Is it possible to run save manager and editor programs with Citra if I want to bypass stupidly implemented RNG padding in Monster Hunter?

You can right click on the Monster Hunter game in the list and select “Open Save Data Location”.

Ok, but will editor programs for MHXX read it like normal is my question.

Make a backup of your savefile and give it a try, that’s the only way to find that out.

For what is worth, the savefiles of the pokémon games on Citra are working perfectly with the popular savefile editor PkHeX, so there’s a chance that the same logic applies to the MonHun games and their savefiles on Citra.