Steam overlay displaying white screen

Issue:
It seems Citra no longer plays nicely with Steam, after installing the latest Steam update on Jul 24, when I press the overlay button Citra displays a white screen instead of the steam overlay to exit game/open keyboard/etc…

I’ve tested with other emulators and this issue seems to be isolated to Citra. Others tested Cemu, Dolphin, RPCS3, etc…

System Information

• Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (1803)
  • CPU: Intel® Core™ i7 6820HK Processor
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
  • Citra Version (found in title bar): Citra Nightly #800
  • Game: The Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time 3D
  • Screenshot of Issue (include the full Citra window including titlebar): https://streamable.com/iuy49

Diagnostic Log
citra_log.txt (164.6 KB)

The issue is mentioned on this page:

https://github.com/citra-emu/citra/wiki/FAQ

Q) How can I fix the API ERROR 1282 OPENGL error? I can’t figure out what is causing this to happen!

A)This is the result of third-party application that uses overlays which might conflict with Citra. The console will print this error log:

Render.OpenGL video_core\renderer_opengl\renderer_opengl.cpp:DebugHandler:469: API ERROR 1282: GL_INVALID_OPERATION error generated. Function glMatrixMode is deprecated and not available in preview contexts.
Render.OpenGL video_core\renderer_opengl\renderer_opengl.cpp:DebugHandler:469: API ERROR 1282: GL_INVALID_OPERATION error generated. Function glPushMatrix is deprecated and not available in preview contexts.
Render.OpenGL video_core\renderer_opengl\renderer_opengl.cpp:DebugHandler:469: API ERROR 1282: GL_INVALID_OPERATION error generated. Function glLoadIdentity is deprecated and not available in preview contexts.
Render.OpenGL video_core\renderer_opengl\renderer_opengl.cpp:DebugHandler:469: API ERROR 1282: GL_INVALID_OPERATION error generated. Function glOrtho is deprecated and not available in preview contexts.

So far only MSI Afterburner is being reported to have conflicts with Citra, therefore it is advisable to close it before launching Citra.

I assume that Steam’s new overlay overhaul combined with this issue is a recipe for disaster.

2 Likes

Bummer. Looks like you are right, something must have changed in Steam overlay… Prob not gonna have a fix soon unless it’s on Citra’s side (doubt Steam cares), dang it, I was enjoying 3DS gaming on my projector… Back to the PC it is.

Hey @gonzalo-hvega,

You ever get this fixed? Just got setup only to find I am having this issue. Would love to be able to use my steam link with citra.

Unfortunately not. The issue seems to be related to OpenGL API functions. Actually PCSX2 has same behavior when using OpenGL graphics core. I doubt it will get fixed soon as it is probably low priority for Citra or Steam devs (SHOCKER).

1 Like

FYI, the latest Steam Beta fixes this issue. Cross your fingers it will still be fixed in next official update. Props to Steam for getting it done!

1 Like