Stream citra to android tv?

Hello,

I recently bought an Nvidia Shield. While I do know and understand that emulating 3DS is android devices is not possible (yet), I wondered if it was possible to run it on a PC and stream it (through gamestream?) to the Shield.

I’ve seen a github projet that allows streaming to android devices with touch control. Is the same thing possible while recognizing the Nvidia Controller? Playing 3DS games on TV would be sooooo nice! And I guess I might not be the only one interested in streaming onto Android TV.

Thank you

Yes, you should be able to do it. I have an Nvidia Shield tablet and it works fine, so I’d imagine it’d work for TV box version too. Just a heads up my computer is wired, and my tablet is connecting to it via Wi-Fi. I’d suggest having at least 1 wired connection to have a smooth a stream as possible. And yes, sadly you NEED Nvidia Experience (sorry for people who care about their privacy).

So let’s get started setting things up. First you’ll need to have installed the latest GeForce Experience, and the latest Nvidia Games app on your device for better compatibility between the two. Once done follow these steps:

1. On your computer launch “GeForce Experience.”
  2. Click the “Settings” icon (the cog).
  3. Click “Shield”.
  4. Click “Add”
  5. Go to “citra-qt” and double click it. If you’re using the Bleeding Edge build it should be:
    "%localappdata%\citra\app-0.1.371"
  6. Click on the toggle to the right of where it says “Gamestream” to enable that feature.
  7. That’s all you need to do on the computer for now. So go to your Nvidia device.
  8. Open the “Nvidia Games” app.
  9. Wait for it to load, then click “Gamestream”.
  10. Your Nvidia device will now try and search for your computer. I don’t need to do this any more and thus have forgotten the exact instructions. it should be very easy to follow though.
  11. Now BEFORE you launch Citra you’ll want to pair your chosen controller to your tablet via Bluetooth.
  12. On the Nvidia Games app go to “citra-qt” and launch it. This may take some time but it will work.
  13. Citra should now launch and be visible on your device.
  14. From here on out you can launch the game and configure your controls on the PC or on the tablet it up to you. Either way Citra is launched.

Here’s several images as proof for any naysayers:
http://imgur.com/6KjnQPv
http://imgur.com/FhOwvpo
http://imgur.com/IZlR6qP
http://imgur.com/4mbSwH2

Thank you! Half the job is done.

Unfortunately, Citra starts, but it doesn’t seem to recognize the controller.

Should I go through this? Temporary: Controller Configurations for Citra

If so, do you have a copy of the configuration for Nvidia controllers?

I don’t know if that’s the problem though. I can’t even move the mouve with the analogic stick. =/

I don’t have an Nvidia controller, only a Duelshock 4 (the later tablets never came with one). So what I’m about to suggest COULD work, but I cannot guarantee it.

So, what you want to do is download and un-zip the JoyToKey files on your computer and run the JoyToKey.exe file. You can un-zip the files with either WinRar or 7-Zip. Then close JoyToKey properly by going to “File” -> “Quit”, once done follow these instructions:

1. Launch Citra with the controller paired using the instructions I wrote above. Or, if you know another way to just mirror the desktop on the Shield do that instead.
  2. Go to your PC and now minimize Citra.
  3. Re-launch JoyToKey and use that software to configure the Nvida Controller to buttons on your keyboard. You can find out what button on the controller does what as when you interact with the controller, on JoyToKey that key will be lit up with a Yellow outline. This could also be a good time to check if the analogue sticks are configured properly too (one stick not moving all the way right for example), you can do that with the “Configure Joysticks” tool/settings in JoyToKey. i CANNOT give you more help on that software as I don’t have the Nvidia controller on hand.
  4. Once all the buttons are mapped, maximize Citra.
  5. Go to “Emulation” -> “Configure”.
  6. Go to the “Input” tab.
  7. Use the Nvidia controller to map that to the 3DS controls.
  8. Then click “Ok”.
  9. Now feel free to launch your game with the Shield or the PC.

NOTE:
Every time you want to use Citra with that Nvidia Controller you’ll need to launch JoyToKey on your computer first. Thankfully, none of the other steps above need to repeated once done.
Also pressing the big red “X” on JoyToKey doesn’t automatically close the program. You need to manually close it via the “File” -> “Quit” options in the software.

UPDATE:
Oh, as for the mouse movement you could also map that with JoyToKey. OR if the Shield box/controller has some sort of touchscreen functionality (like the tablet) that will work automatically for mouse movement with no configuration required.

Great, that really helped!

I managed to get everything working, including using the mouse with right stick.

Thank you so much. =)

Fantastic, I’m glad it’s working for you :slight_smile: