Supernova Sun decrypted won't launch?

Issue: I boot up citra to attempt to play a decrypted Pokemon Supernova Sun, and the game tells me that it has encountered a fatal error before even starting up. If I hit Continue afterwards, it just shows me a black screen with no way to interact.
Enter a description of your issue here, in full detail.

System Information

• Operating System: Win 10
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1400
  • GPU: AMD Radeon RX 580 w/ 4 GB dedicated DDR4 memory
  • Citra Version (found in title bar): Nightly 1088
  • Game: Supernova Sun
  • Screenshot of Issue (include the full Citra window including titlebar):
    http://puu.sh/BWf2S/09d38b40a5.png (Should come up as an image)

Diagnostic Log
Upload your log file as an attachment by dragging & dropping.

citra_log.txt (16.8 KB)

I found some issues in that log that need resolving:

If you are using the latest Supernova sun files, 1.05, you need the update installed. If you built the *.3ds version yourself, have you put the decrypted update in before you replaced the files from the hack distribution? If you built the file without the update, you might want to install it through Citra.

Then again, I don’t know if romhacks even work in the first place with citra, because luma redirects some files which citra might not do if you install the update as is.

I didn’t want to mess with my 3ds, so I found the decrypted files on another site, yeah. I thought they were supposed to be the v10.5 files, but I could definitely be wrong.

How would I go about getting the update as well through citra? Forgive me, I’m a bit new on working with the emulator.

I also have no clue if romhacks work myself, but I thought since citra is simply an emulator for the 3ds, it wouldn’t be too hard to get them working (in theory), right?

Thanks for the quick response and help either way!

you must not post these links here, after all that game is copyrighted material. Romhacks work by redirecting files. simply put, if the system looks for it under a spefific path, luma redirects that path to another folder on the sd card. you could also learn how to decrypt the contents of your rom and replace specific files with the ones provided for your specific rom hack, and then rebuild the content to a *.3ds or *.cia file. That process basically breaks checksums and requires a custom firmware to run. Because I was interested, I built a 3ds-Rom of that hack and tried it, it doesn’t work, it closes out of the emulator immediately.

1 Like

Ah, alright. I’ll see what I can do with that. Thanks for the information anyways!

Edit. I got it to work.

Here’s how I did it:

Put the Cart in, dump it using godmode9
Using godmode9, dumping the update data as CXI
Using Asia81’s toolkit, decrypt both.

Place all update files in the extracted main game’s folder. Overwrite everything. (don’t mind the bin files, it’s fine they’re getting smaller.)

Place the contents of the hack distribution /luma/title/ID/romfs into the maingame+update - folder.

Navigate to Hack-Distribution ROM_Files folder and place it inside the maingame+update-folder.

Use 3DS-BuilderMod.exe and rebuild the file, putting .3ds as extention.

Profit.

Wow, thank you! I had kinda given up hope on making it work on citra. Did you do all of that just using your comp, or did you use another 3ds to make it work(I’ve never run any of those programs, so I’m still trying to understand it all myself,)? I’ll give this a shot when I get the chance, but I’d like to understand more about all of the programs being used as whole anyways.

I used my own 3ds to decrypt the card and to dump the update. That is all you need the 3ds for. If you put the decrypted files on your hard drive, you don’t need it going forward. The update can be dumped as a .cia or .cxi file, but once you decrypt it, you need ExeFS and RomFS as folders, not just as binaries. Sometimes the decryption process only yields binaries, which aren’t useful for the process.