The "Fix" for poor AMD Radeon performance on Windows

I hope this is OK to post here. Like many, I’ve been burdened by the lack of quality OpenGL drivers from AMD in their Radeon lineup. I have set out on a quest to workaround this. With more recent updates in the Mesa3D library (ie using D3D12 or Vulkan as backend for OpenGL) it is now possible. With AMD’s OpenGL implementation, I was getting 15ms (or more) to render a frame in Citra. Utilizing Mesa3D’s OpenGL with Vulkan backend, it’s cut down to 4ms. YMMV Also, to reduce stuttering, adjust the Advanced Power Options by setting PCI Express → Link State Power Management to OFF.
Prebuilt Mesa binaries are here… Get the MSVC Release package. Then, all you need is to copy OPENGL32.DLL, LIBGLAPI.DLL and LIBGALLIUM_WGL.DLL to Citra folder (same at citra-qt.exe). Then use a batch file to set environment variable GALLIUM_DRIVER=zink, and also start Citra. Enjoy!

2 Likes

In order for us to provide better support, we need to see the log generated by citra. This guide will walk you through how you can obtain the log file: How to Upload the Log File

System Information for Support

Client Version                               Canary 2099   HEAD-dd41795
Operating System                             Windows 10 (10.0)
CPU                                          AMD Ryzen 5 3400G with Radeon Vega Graphics     | AVX2 | FMA
Graphics API                                 OpenGL 3.3.1
Graphics Renderer                            Radeon RX 570 Series
GPU Driver Version                           22.3.2 30.0.15019.1005
CPU JIT                                      [x]
Hardware Renderer                            [x]
Hardware Shader                              [ ]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication     [x]
Shader JIT                                   [x]
System Region                                -1
Shader Disk Cache                            [x]

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• Due to AMD’s poorly optimized OpenGL driver, you may experience slowdowns.

System Information for Support

Client Version                               Canary 2099   HEAD-dd41795
Operating System                             Windows 10 (10.0)
CPU                                          AMD Ryzen 5 3400G with Radeon Vega Graphics     | AVX2 | FMA
Graphics API                                 OpenGL 3.3.1
Graphics Renderer                            Radeon RX 570 Series
GPU Driver Version                           22.3.2 30.0.15019.1005
CPU JIT                                      [x]
Hardware Renderer                            [x]
Hardware Shader                              [ ]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication     [x]
Shader JIT                                   [x]
System Region                                -1
Shader Disk Cache                            [x]

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• Due to AMD’s poorly optimized OpenGL driver, you may experience slowdowns.

Worked for me with a RX570 thank you so much!

1 Like

I haven’t noticed any performance increase, do you need to do more than just download those files and move them over to the citra folder + make the bat file?

You should try installing the 22.8.2 optional drivers if they are compatible with your GPU for the OpenGL optimizations they added recently.

how would I do that?

What is your GPU, if you know? You can probably just use the Auto-detect tool: https://www.amd.com/en/support
Just make sure it’s 22.8.2 and not like 22.6.1 or 22.5.2

This assumes you have at least RX 400 series or newer. Or if you have a Ryzen laptop with Vega integrated graphics.

I have a radeon RX 580

Ok, in case you haven’t found it: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/radeon-500-series/radeon-rx-500-series/radeon-rx-580

Apparently it has been replaced with 22.9.1 (September update) go ahead with that one instead.

1 Like

that actually helped a lot, though there’s still some stuttering, would there be any way to fix that?

Not really, I don’t have buttery smooth, perfect frame pacing even on a Ryzen 9 3900X with RTX 2080.

1 Like