The manual M1-Mac build runs great. So why is there no official automatic M1-Mac build?

Greetings everyone,

I’m just curious: why is there no official M1-Mac-build available?

I just successfully built the M1-version with your official guide at Building for macOS · citra-emu/citra Wiki · GitHub (applying the M1-specific instruction listed at the bottom of that guide).

It runs great (Fire Emblem Awakening at double resolution on 60 fps). And I can even enable hardware rendering, hardware shaders, shader JIT and shader cache. The only flaw is, that one has to manually change audio > output engine to sdl2, in order to get sound.

So, if runs that great, why is there no official downloadable build for M1?

All the M1-owners out there who like emulators, but shy away from compiling the binary themselves, would love to read news about an official M1-binary.

Bests.

In order for us to provide better support, we need to see the log generated by Citra. This guide will walk you through how you can obtain the log file: How to Upload the Log File.

Because there are still a lot of (game breaking) bugs on many games when using a compiled M1 MacOS Citra build. If you haven’t encountered any so far, great! But that isn’t universal unfortunately. Currently, we don’t have a dev with an M1 device and the interest of working on it.

So there is no official compiled build for this for the same reason we don’t provide support with these devices, there is nobody willing and able to maintain the builds. People would report bugs and incompatibilities whilst we would have no way to support them. That would just clog up the forums and discord support channels unnecessarily.

1 Like

Ah, I see. That makes sense. Thanks a lot, for taking the time to answer. Much appreciated.

I compiled the build and am currently enjoying Fire Emblem Awakening on M1 Mac. And since it is so easy to build and runs so great, I assumed that the overall state of Citra on M1 is equally good.

It’s a weird state for emulation enthusiasts on M1 Macs. On the one hand, that hardware delivers serious performance. On the other hand, there seem to be too few owners around, for emulation devs to care about fully supporting M1.

And Apple building their own eco system on Metal and deprecating OpenGL doesn’t help either.