There is lag and audio problems with Tomodachi Life

Issue:
There is lag when you try to do things (as if there is some memory leak and not loading properly and it even happens in the middle of things as well) and characters constantly skip dialogue.

Just play it your self and you will clearly see what is wrong, even the YouTuber “Call Me Kevin” is having problems.

In all I hope that some one will fix this, for this is a really fun and just great game overall on the 3DS but it would be vary nice to be able to play this on pc as well with no problems.

System Informationcitra_log.txt (172.2 KB)

• Operating System: Omen HP
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 7th Gen
  • GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050
  • Citra Version (found in title bar): Cintra Nightly 1594
  • Game: Tomodachi Life for Nintendo 3DS
  • Screenshot of Issue (include the full Citra window including titlebar):

Diagnostic Log
Upload your log file as an attachment by dragging & dropping.

In order to save a copy of the log, follow this guide:
https://community.citra-emu.org/t/how-to-upload-the-log-file/296

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Nightly 1594 HEAD-d88d220
Operating System                              Windows 10 (10.0)
CPU                                           Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz
Graphics API                                  OpenGL 3.3.0
Graphics Renderer                             GeForce GTX 1050/PCIe/SSE2
GPU Driver Version                            445.87
CPU JIT                                       [ ]
Hardware Renderer                             [x]
Hardware Shader                               [ ]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [ ]
Shader JIT                                    [x]
System Region                                 1
Shader Disk Cache                             [ ]

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• CPU JIT should be enabled for the best performance. Please enable this option.
  • Enabling Accurate Multiplication is recomended in certain games. If you are experiencing graphical glitches, try enabling this option.
1 Like

No this did not help nor work, for this is something more than that. For there is still lag issues that can be severer and they still skip dialogue.

I think that all of the Tomodachi Life downloads are either corrupted or just outdated for the newer versions of Citra and need to be redone in order to work properly.

1 Like

Even the music sounds off with it not working properly.

1 Like

You turned off many performance increasing settings. Turn on CPU JIT in the Debug tab, Disk Shader Cache in the Graphics options (Enhancements tab) and Hardware Shader + Accurate Multiplication (Advanced tab).

Turn off Texture Dumping and delete the dump folder, you probably have thousands of images there now :stuck_out_tongue: open Citra then File -> Open Citra Folder to find the folder

Voices being cut off early is a known issue, currently only LLE audio plays them correctly but then the game becomes too slow. Sorry for the inconvenience.

The only legal place to download Nintendo 3DS games from is the Nintendo eShop. I hope you didn’t imply rom sites because that would be piracy which is illegal. Make sure you have read and understood the rules:

“I hope you didn’t imply rom sites because that would be piracy which is illegal” No, I just meant that that when you download the game or port, however you call it. And yes I did buy it for my 3DS, in case if you were wondering. Now I’m Sorry for any inconveniences that I may have caused.

Now I thank you for your time and I bid you good day.

1 Like

P.S.

By all downloads, I meant that every time you get it on Citra. Sorry about that, and next time (hopefully not for I personally don’t like disturbing others) I will try to chose my wording more carefully as to hopefully not cause any more misunderstandings.

1 Like

Sorry to bother, but I tried doing what you said for it to work better; but it still has lag issues.

I was wondering if there was any plan to perhaps one day update Citra, so that it could work properly and have it so that the characters won’t skip their dialogue.

I also would like to note that when they sing there is no dialogue skipping, perhaps you or someone else can look into that and see why. Perhaps in turn that could be a step in fixing the issue.

I don’t know if this will work, but the Dolphin Emulator has a frame skipping option that helped with spartan total warrior.

I don’t know, just a thought. For perhaps that is what this needs for the LLE audio to work. Or this is just something else entirely that for some reason causes the frame rate to drop exponentially for some reason that perhaps should also be looked into to find out what’s wrong.

The voice skipping issue has been present for a very long time, it’s an issue that, so far, is exclusive only to Tomodachi Life. No other 3DS title has this problem on Citra.

LLE audio is still a relatively new thing added to Citra last year and its implementation made games like Pokemon X/Y playable. HLE audio is simply faster with the way Citra’s programmed, so efforts were made to allow HLE to play games that require LLE audio for accurate emulation and it worked pretty well for the most part, but Tomodachi Life has the added side effect that voices begin to cut off, as you saw, and while one of the devs has been looking into it since 2019, the reason for this hasn’t been found, much less a way to fix it. If it were as easy as adding a frame skip option odds are it would have been found and fixed by now.

Keep in mind that this emulator is a project run by just a handful of people who work on it on their free time, and it certainly isn’t an easy thing to update and maintain. If you’d like to help resolve this issue then I’m sure the team would welcome the help, but otherwise their priorities lie elsewhere, rather than solving an issue that affects just the one game.

Basically, the tl;dr version is that since it is just the one game, it’s probably not high on the priority list to be “fixed”. It has been looked into but the reason for the voice skipping has not been found, so a fix is impossible until then.

1 Like

Well in that case, I’ll leave it be then.

Now I thank you for letting me know of this matter, and yes I’m sure that this will take time. For fixing issues for games is no easy task and usually takes multiple people to find and solve I’m sure.