Tomodachi Life freezes when attempting to name the first Mii (and graphical issues)

Issue:
Hi there, I’m trying to emulate Tomodachi Life on my PC using Citra, after following 3ds.hacks.guide all the way to Finalizing Setup, exporting the cartridge using threeSD, then resolving a fatal error by changing the region to Auto. The game appears to work at first, but a graphical glitch becomes visible after naming the island, then the game freezes entirely when attempting to give the first Mii a last name. I have tried to run the game on both the Nightly and Canary builds, and both result in the same error. Does anybody know what is causing this?

System Information

• Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home 10.0.19044
  • CPU: Inter(R) Core™ i7-9700F CPU @ 3.00GHz, 3000 Mhz, 8 Core(s). 8 Logical Processor(s)
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660
  • Citra Version (found in title bar): Nightly 1783 and Canary 2255
  • Game: Tomodachi Life
  • Screenshot of Issue (include the full Citra window including titlebar):

Diagnostic Log
citra_log.txt (271.8 KB)

System Information for Support

Client Version                               Canary 2255   HEAD-68e131b
Operating System                             Windows 10 (10.0)
CPU                                          Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700F CPU @ 3.00GHz | AVX2 | FMA
Graphics API                                 OpenGL 4.3.0
Graphics Renderer                            NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660/PCIe/SSE2
GPU Driver Version                           516.94
CPU JIT                                      [x]
Hardware Renderer                            [x]
Hardware Shader                              [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication     [x]
Shader JIT                                   [x]
System Region                                -1
Shader Disk Cache                            [x]

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• Please enable the Vsync option if you are experiencing screen tearing.

Please try out this Citra build: Release nightly-1782 · citra-emu/citra-nightly · GitHub
Let me know if the issue persists.

Getting the same issue on Nightly 1782. Here’s the log for that version.
citra_log.txt (141.2 KB)

Edit: I’ve done some testing to try and figure out what causes the freeze. It seems that opening four native menus does the trick in freezing the game. The typical progression for me is naming the island, opening the Mii menu, giving the Mii a first name, and then it’s the last name that causes the freeze. However, I’ve tried creating a Mii from scratch rather than importing one, and the game allows me to provide a last name, but once I move onto the nickname it freezes once more, totaling four total native menus accessed once again. This is a serious issue as I’m required to use multiple native menus throughout gameplay, and if they cause freezes I’m screwed.

Client Version                               Nightly 1782   HEAD-d380980
CPU                                          Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700F CPU @ 3.00GHz | AVX2 | FMA
Graphics API                                 OpenGL 3.3.0

Client Version                               Nightly 1782   HEAD-d380980
Graphics API                                 OpenGL 3.3.0

Update: I tried the solution of renaming the keyboard app folder so as to use the open-source dialog instead (folder located at nand\00000000000000000000000000000000\title\00040030\0000d002). This has effectively delayed the problem by only freezing after the Mii importer is opened a couple of times. I would still like to figure out how to resolve these issues with my system applets (which I imported using threeSD), and I would also appreciate if there was a way to keep the text input dialog on a separate monitor, but in all other aspects the game is now playable for me. Any thoughts as to how I can resolve the issues I’ve listed?

If it’s the dumped keyboard applet causing the issue, we can just delete it entirely. That should have Citra use our open source replacements instead. Which shouldn’t crash.

Go to File>Open Citra Folder, then follow this file path nand/00000000000000000000000000000000/title/00040030/ and delete the 00009802 folder (for EUR dump), or 0000C802 (for US dump).

As for the graphical issues, try deleting your shaders: Go to File>Open Citra Folder, then open up the shaders folder and delete the opengl folder found here.

The graphical issues were resolved once I renamed the folder I specified in my update. Renaming the folder you suggested decreased lag when opening the Mii importer. However, the Mii importer still inevitably crashes if it is opened too many times. This isn’t a major issue, but it would be nice if I could fix it.

What version of ThreeSD did you use for dumping and importing your files?

I initially used 0.6.1, but then replaced all available files with those gained from 0.5.4. There was no change in the behaviour of the emulator.