Transferring save files in Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Issue:
I have a town with around a month’s progress on my sibling’s laptop. I’ve been liking how it’s been progressing so far, so I wanted to transfer my files (I’ll call it ‘Town OG’) to my own laptop and continue with it on there.

On my sibling’s laptop: I went to where Town OG’s save file was an copied the entire ’ data ’ folder and put it in a USB. (It included the 00000001.metadata file and 00000001 folder. Inside the 00000001 folder was:
Screenshot (15)
On my laptop: I had already downloaded Citra & the ROM for Animal Crossing: New Leaf (along with installing the 1.5 CIA). I plugged the USB in and copied the ‘data’ folder to my Desktop. I then loaded Citra Canary, right-clicked on the New Leaf game, and selected ‘Open Save Data Location’. I was brought to an empty 00000001 folder.

I went to ‘00086400’ and replaced the entire ‘data’ folder with the ‘data’ folder from my Desktop (the one from the USB, containing Town OG’s save file).

I then opened up Canary, and was met with this:

Did I transfer the files the wrong way? Does it have something to do with the shaders loading? (When loading Town OG on my sibling’s laptop there were around 3k shaders needed to load, on my laptop Citra & the ACNL ROM was newly installed so it was just around 700.)

(By the way, I’ve been hopping back-and-forth with Canary and Nightly whenever I loaded my town. For example: Day 1: Started the town using Canary. Couple days later I might use Nightly. So on so forth. Does this have anything to do with it? Do the save files in Canary and Nightly differ? Or do they share the same save file location?)

Anyway, I do have a lot of questions, but my main concern is if I can be able to play my original save file on my laptop. Or is there no way around this? Will I have to create a new town all over again? I already made a lot of progress on Town OG . . .

If anyone has a solution to this, please let me know! It would be very much appreciated.

(Also I tried posting this on the Citra Reddit but my post got taken down for some reason…?)

System Information

• Operating System: 64-bit operating system, 64-bit based processor
  • CPU: Intel ® Celeron ® CPU N3060 @ 1.60GHz 1.60 GHz
  • GPU: Intel ® HD Graphics
  • Citra Version: Canary 1814
  • Game: Animal Crossing: New Leaf v.1.5

Diagnostic Log
citra_log.txt (26.0 KB)

System Information for Support

Client Version                                Canary 1814 HEAD-d3e12d2
Operating System                              Windows 10 (10.0)
CPU                                                 Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU  N3060  @ 1.60GHz
Graphics API                                  OpenGL 3.3.0
Graphics Renderer                             Intel(R) HD Graphics 400
GPU Driver Version                            20.19.15.4703
CPU JIT                                       [x]
Hardware Renderer                             [x]
Hardware Shader                               [x]
Hardware Shader, Accurate Multiplication      [ ]
Shader JIT                                    [x]
System Region                                 -1
Shader Disk Cache                             [x]

Here’s some issues I found with your log that might help.

• Enabling Accurate Multiplication is recomended in certain games. If you are experiencing graphical glitches, try enabling this option.
  • You are using open source system files for Mii data. This will appear as your Mii having broken graphics, but will not affect the stability of the game. In order to resolve this, please refer to our guide on dumping system files. https://citra-emu.org/wiki/dumping-system-archives-and-the-shared-fonts-from-a-3ds-console/

Can you elaborate?

Most likely because of the above, they assumed you pirated the game and your wording regarding “downloading rom” points towards that. In order to use Citra legally you need access to a hacked Nintendo 3DS, either your own or a friend’s and you must own the game, either on cartridge (physical copy) or digitally (installed on your 3DS) otherwise it is piracy which is illegal. Since you mentioned v1.5 which is an update to the game you would need to own a Nintendo 3DS as well because in order to get updates you need to download via the Nintendo eShop app.

What I meant by that was, I already had Citra & the ACNL 3ds base game file on my laptop. The same 3ds base game that was on my sibling’s laptop. Installing the 1.5 CIA was basically just the Welcome Amiibo update.

Also thank you for clarifying regarding my Reddit issue!
Unfortunately, I do admit that I have downloaded the rom.
I suppose I’ll just stop playing for a while and leave it at that until I have access to an actual 3ds.

1 Like

Yeah, we are unable to give any kind of support to pirates. Thanks for understanding :slight_smile: